MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor Mag in Australia carried an in brief with a pic of the ZT385 showcar that stated that the cars are "currently undergoing hot temperature testing in the NT [Northen Territory - ie desert]". Looks like the final endurance testing and fine tuning is underway so won't be long til sales time I think.

and.... sorry but no I can't keep an eye out for them and take some pics. the NT is as big as France and further away from me here in Tasmania than Poland is from the UK.... otherwise I would.

ps. it also had another in brief cmmenting on "that" Rover 25 from the same show. The word used was "vomitous". Couldn't have said it better myself.

G

·
Yep, that concept 25 was rather a mistake. Good news on the 385 testing - still expect it on the UK market in the last quarter of this year or first next year!

Having a few reservations as I don't want rabid depreciation on such an expensive car. Didn't like the Trophy story that was run in last weeks Autocar!! :(

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
I'd disagree on the 25 being a mistake - Love it or (more probably) hate it, you have to admit, it had people talking about the Rover 25, something which wouldn't have happened otherwise...

Regarding the ZT - Still enjoying the 190 Jerry? ;)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Do you think Rover or MG will export to Australia the 385 Patrick. You guys like big cars and big V8's. Is there a possibility I wonder. Normally most manufactuers go for the Nevada desert for hot climate testing. Just a thought.

Jim

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If the XT385 was a true volume model, then I'm sure that Aus. sales would start in earnest - but as it will be an exclusive vehicle, (Depreciation? More like appreciation!) sales will be concentrated where the orders are, so it may well make it down under in small numbers. After all, it is RHD initially and the powertrain will be familiar enough. I also hear that it is all coming together very nicely.

G

·
RING testing

A EVO driver from Germany - reports he has seen one testing at the "RING" too? Maybe the 260 though???

G

·
385 at the ring???

Same driver on http://www.lancerregister.com under the Forum "Trackdays" and titled - DO YOUR OWN EVO 7 v UK STi 7 BACK TO BACK TEST (the guy advertising the cars is ex TWR manangement - and he had my OE EVO exhaust FOC).

However, a guy posts this about the 385 testing at the "RING"

I did not want to step on anybodies toes, but going from an Evo to a MG???!!? I thought the car pictured was just a joke (a Rover with spoilers and cheap looking logos).

Did you have enough of the Evo?

They were people from MG. And they had a great time driving on the Ring with their V8 beast. But they were slow and their approach was not very scientific. Some other people from the car industry were downright schocked about how the MG crew went about.

Maybe worth a comment from someone in the know? Also, worth saying we don't know which car it was - 260/385 or what goals MGR were after! Finally, the comment on the spoiler is a bit rich from an EVO VI owner!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Just signed up, and waiting for the password....Interesting forum, mind, well worth the look.

P.S. You could point 2 the fact that the 385 is a wholly diffent car to an EVO, and therefore the settings will be approached uncharacteristically to anything they are familiar with. Point to the flames from the exhaust.......!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 385 at the ring???

Finally, the comment on the spoiler is a bit rich from an EVO VI owner!!
From an aussie who calls a spade a spade...

As far as I can tell the EVO VI is a Mitsubishi Lancer which has had a new 4wd drivetrain put in along with suspension changes and a large turbocharger popped onto its engine. Add to that a ridculous looking body kit.

Yes it's a lot of changes and they make it quite a car BUT it is once again a humble car that has had a fat wallet thrown at it.

How is this the slightest bit different from the Z cars? The transformation from 75 to ZT285 is pretty much the same as the transformation from Lancer to EVO. Funny but Subaru has done exactly the same thing too. Anyone ever driven the 2.0 version of subaru 4 minus any forced induction? Any car it's fitted to takes longer to get to 60mph than anything even Lada ever made.

As far the 260/385 in Australia.... They would sell but perversely they would sell in larger numbers if they were badged Rover. The Australian MG buying public would I feel be put off by a 4 door high powered V8. If the slant put on it was that it was to Rover like AMG is Mercedes then a different sort of buyer altogether would pick it up. If it's pitted against the Jaguar X type R and the *** M5 then it will sell to the traditional buyers in small numbers. But as I think I said in another thread what MGR Australia would really sell and sell in good numbers is the ZT260 in Rover form. ie take the ZT260 chassis and dricetrain, pop on the R75 body and bingo - the spiritual successor to the SD1, which incidentally sold very well in Australia. Nothing on sale here since has come near that success and when their SD1s all reached old age these buyers bought Range Rovers or Jaguars. None of them bought the 827 Vitesse. The trick is now to entice them back. At present around 800 75s in 2.5 form are sold each year in Australia, through 13 dealers nationally and let's say that my local dealer is a real token effort to get a dealer in Tasmania (rather like having one MGR dealer to look after Wales). I suspect a Rover 75 260 could double that figure without any trouble.

A Rover at Bathurst would be big news - the current V8 formula has its origins in the SD1 racing in the early 80s. They never did particularly well but they changed the way people thought about the race and ultimately changed the rules. I remember the famous moment when Jaguar gained 1 and 3 with XJSs. Next year the rules were changed to make 8 cylinders the most you could have!

AS for Brocky.... he's getting a little old now - in his 50s (sorry all you older members) but he's still racing. Right now he's racing the Holden Monaro in a road rally (Targa Tasmania) against Porsche 911s. Think 2 door HSV GTS and you have the Monaro - actually a very attractive car..... hint hint MGR how about the 75 coupe???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hot weather testing

Forgot to add that they are hot weather testing in Australia because that's the traditional place to hot weather test Rovers.

Rover Group has always tested in outback Australia as did BL before them. I guess it's partly because we have all the temperature heat they need minus the prying media heat. Also they export here so they have the support infrastructure in place.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
As stated, Aus has long been a favourite for hot wx testing of Rover products, even in the BMC era, and lest we forget the plant at Zetland, Sydney back in those days. One of the areas well used was the Bourke to Charleville district, NW of NSW, and SW Queensland.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: 385 at the ring?

Does anyone know when the ZT was seen at the ring, interested to know if it was recent as thinking of getting one in the future an it sounds slightly disappointing.
If it was a while ago then it was an early test hack ;)

G

·
Dismiss the RING speak!

Hi Mark & welcome!

The guy posted on www.lancerregister.com maybe to stir things after I sold an EVO VII. I honestly think we can dismiss it. However, the car has to be right, especially after spending the thick end of £38k. We just need some patience. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts