MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just joined the group and wanted to share my experience of my ZT-T160. I saw the earlier post about whether the 160 should be dropped.

I didn't buy the 160 for out and out speed. For me it's fast enough, but I really bought it for the overall package. There's nothing quite like it on the road......it's different. I wanted a car that would last and build quality is very important to me. It was also cheaper for insurance, and at around £19k with metallic silver paint and upgrade CD player....very well priced.

Unfortunately, build quality is one of the areas where I have been disappointed. Nothing major, but the trim rattles and squeeks have spoiled an otherwise great driving experience. Even worse, the rattles only appear when I'm driving, and immediately dissappear when I try and demonstrate them to my dealer!

I'm now pretty sure the rear seat is not secured properly, so I'm going to try and fix this myself. The drivers side front window has now started to rattle a bit. It's all the more annoying when I drive my wife's 4 year old Micra, which is completely rattle free and puts the MG to shame. Clearly, if MG are going to worry ***/ AUDI / ALFA, they need to work on this.

Another moan....can anyone get a sensible reading from the oil dipstick on a ZT. Mine is either empty or overflowing ...according to the stick. Who's idea was it to put the plastic bit on the end?.....should be fired immediately!

Other than these niggles, I'm enjoying the ZT-T and still glad I bought it. Would I buy another one?...If they can improve the trim....definately! If you do buy one now, I'd recommend an upgrade sound system....handy for drowning out the rattles!

·
Registered
388 Posts
stuart27s said:
Another moan....can anyone get a sensible reading from the oil dipstick on a ZT. Mine is either empty or overflowing ...according to the stick. Who's idea was it to put the plastic bit on the end?.....should be fired immediately!
Stuart,

First of all hello and welcome! It sounds as though your experience with the ZT-T build quality is similar to my own with my ZS180 - nothing major but some little niggles - but, I'm sure you'll agree, a hoot to drive.

On the dipstick front, I have also had lots of trouble getting a consistent reading from it. With help from others, it seems that the best way is to wait until the engine has been stopped for some time - at least 15 mins, preferably overnight! - and then pull the dipstick out, clean it fully, insert it slowly, pause and the withdraw it even more slowly and carefully. It is a pain but does seem to, finally, allow me to get consistent readings. Does beg the question: How difficult can it be to make a dipstick that works? ;)

HTH,

S.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Hiya, welcome aboard!

Saw a trophy blue ZT-T 160 in Newbury high street at lunchtime, and it certainly has road prescence... Lovely car...

Shame you've had some rattling problems with it. My only rattle so far only happens in the cold weather, and comes from behind the dash. I just ignore as it's far less intrusive than the rattles on my brothers few week old Impreza...

I'll agree with you on the dipstick. It's not just that they put the plastic on the end of the dipstick, it's that it's black, so you have no clue as to where the oil ends and the shiny black plastic begins... I presume this was a *** invention as my mates M3 has exactly the same dipstick. And this is in a 15 year old car!

Agreed on the audio upgrade. The standard system isn't up to much... The HK upgrade is definately worth the extra pennies... Be sure to send some pictures to Jerry for inclusion on the owners cars section...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts