MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Over on the MG BB - Patrick B and I were discussing these cars. I'm sure we all have our own preffered specification of them. Cerbman touched on it ages ago and I endorse what he said.

Both Patrick and I have owned both, I now have the ZT, which is a fabulous car, but I miss the toys that came with the Rover 75 Hi Line Con.

My ideal spec would be a ZT 190+ for the engine - wheels - suspension and external look.
Inside the Rover 75 Con Hi-Line with leather covered seats as opposed to Alcantara and the "technical dash".

Why, because I would still have:
Cruise Control
Parking sensors
Computer
Heated Seats
TV
Sat Nav
Memory Seats (by individual key - for each driver)
Programmable (windows and locks) maybe available on the ZT.
Electric Rear Blind
Illuminated vanity mirrors.
Traction Control
There must be more.

Finally, I know most of the above CAN be specced on the ZT, but at a price, would the ZT owners endorse ny comments?

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Cruise Control - cost option on both 75 and ZT
Parking sensors - Have it (cost option on both)
Computer - Have it (cost option on both)
Heated Seats - Don't have - (cost option on both)
TV - nope, but cost option on both
Sat Nav - likewise
Memory Seats (by individual key - for each driver) - Not available on ZT, not sure why as this would be cool...
Programmable (windows and locks) maybe available on the ZT. - Yep free programming option on both ZT and 75
Electric Rear Blind - available as cost option on both
Illuminated vanity mirrors. - how vain can you get? :D
Traction Control - This one I believe would be of far more use on the ZT than on the 75, yet it isn't offered for the ZT... Don't know why, perhaps the extra engine output has removed the feasiblity of this option???

SO no, don't really agree - the ZT (IMHO) is much nicer from the outside - personally I prefer the alcantara to the R75 leather, but that's down to personal opinion, and me not really liking full leather.

You forgot the other option - Xenon lights - are these actually available on the 75???? (I've never seen one with them)...

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Clearly, I didn't explain myself well Nick.

I would like to see a R75 interior with "technical dash! and sports seats in leather (alcantara doesn't wear too well - IMHO), as part of a full ZT++++ package.

Although, I see you can now get R75 seats using Monogram for the ZT!

According to Autocar, MGR didn't have the time to reprogramme Traction Control when the car was launched. :(

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Only time will tell how hard wearing the Alcantara will be I guess... No problems so far though, and I can't see why it would be worse than standard cloth seats... (and looks nicer!)

Shame, I would have loved a nice TC system on the Z.... :(

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
ZT with Sports bucket seats, but in all leather. Wood dash, but perhaps darkened and white on black dials. The option of a chrome and black grille too. A slightly raised final drive to make genuine 60 mph possible and traction control. A solid BRG would be nice too.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Having your cake and eating it.......

It is so hard to make a decision on this subject. I do like the aggresive stance of the ZT especially the front and the 18" rims. However, like Jerry I think I prefer the internal spec of the R75 which represent value for money compared with speccing up the ZT.

For me the R75 is rather rounded and soft compared with the ZT. However, one has to realise that these great cars are catering for different markets. When I make my choice between the above I can honestly say it will be with mixed emotions. I like the R75 but must have 17"+ rims similiar to what Matt has put on Jerry's previous R75. I much prefer the ride to be hard like that of the ZT.

The answer I suppose is to buy a Rover with stiffened suspension and 17" factory alloys.

As for leather seats I found them terribley uncomftable in the R75 Con. The hard rib edges dig in and really hurt. I found them a pain especially after a late night session drinking and trying to sleep in the back going to Le Mans! Sure Jerry will endorse this - He was driving!!!!!

Jim:D

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Looks like my 9 year old daughter, Hannah might have influence on the subject. She prefers her Dad's R75 to the MG ZT. Why? She doesn't like the spoiler on the ZT190. Is the ZT too "in your face".

Jim:(

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
No, she's a woman what do they know? Heck, I've jus got Martin Kernahan to tool the jacked up version for my machine, so spoilers are good, no spoiler = pipes and slippers. :D

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Jerry,

Not all women are like that. I believe it was Nat who told me to go for it with the extensions... No news yet?

JIM,

You can get the ZT without the spoiler, but personally, I'd just tell your daughter to like it or lump it... :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
Since Jerry has been talking about me, I feel the need to join in.

When looking for a new car and wanting an estate we looked at both the ZT-T and the 75. Loved the body hugging seats and the taut handling of the ZT.

However I confess we did not like any of the rather bright colours available or the cost cutting that had gone on to move the 75 to a ZT.

While lots of the 75 toys are available on the ZT, a lot are not. Worse on the 75, the pricing structure is rather clever. I wanted the Hi Line Sat Sav. They offer a 75 Conn SE San Nav which contains just about all the toys they offer. Better still, (and the clever bit!) the standard Conn plus Sat Nav upgrade is only slightly cheaper than the fully spec'ed, full toy version (within £400 if memory serves correctly). You therefore have a rational decision to go with the full spec car and with Lady wife in front of the Salesman with you during this major purchase, you only need to select the model. Lady wife doesn't know the difference between a Conn and a Conn SE Sat Nav - but me and the salesman do!

Compare and contrast with the ZT. You start of with a car that is cheaper than the 75 - super. However you then start adding the extras at a few hundred pounds each (and remember Lady wife is watch this extravagance) and you end up with a car at least the price of a 75 but not as well spec'ed.

MGR are starting to move more 75 options to the ZT, like the wider range of body colours, leather seats, wood trim. The problem is that this only makes the ZT even more expensive than the 75.

Rather than continue this drip feed of Rover bits to the ZT, why not offer a sports pack option to 75?

I know that many on this board see the Bavarian Motor Works as the Devil's spawn. I do not, and see the involvement with Rover as proof of the cock-up theory or life rather and the conspiracy theory. I have had BMC / Leyland / Rover cars back to the days of the Marina (that I loved!!!). The 75 is so vastly better and more expensively finished than our last 800 that I cannot help but believe this was due to the influence of the boys from Munich (I am not going to use the initials and have *** in my post!).

I plead with MGR to remember the quality message and not revert to the old Leyland approach to seeing how cheap you can make everything!

Cheers

Patrick

PS I am not having a pop at the ZT, just vivid colours and wings are not my thing. Perhaps I am just too old and deserve a Rover!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Patrick

I concur regarding the ZT spec sheet. As mentioned it would be nice to Spec the R75 Conn SE Hi-Line to ZT external spec.
Hence a huge saving.

This is the car I had and as mentioned you are now enjoying the toys I miss. One of which I am retrofitting - Satnav (Kenwod - if they can get the stering wheel controls to operate with the system). This is where we differ I love the R75, but liked the new front end, sports suspension and wheels of the ZT.

I also concur, it IS a clever pricing strategy and without ***'s help the car would not be specced so - things I know are still sourced from Bavaria are:

Diesel engine.
ZT axle?
Aircon.
SatNav.
Minor fixings.
Wheel Nuts.
Filler Cap.
The list is endless.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
I think we'll never all agree on this one... The cars are aimed at different people, and I believe that if you don't accept them for what they are, then it probably isn't the car for you..

75 = laid back luxurious tourer
ZT = Fast sports executive

Different cars for different people. Personally, I could never see myself driving a Rover 75, as it's just too rep/old persons for me. (no offence meant guys)..

Maybe when I'm 40+ years old, I'll see a need for an illuminated vanity mirror etc, but right now, I see this as extra weight in the car slowing it down... :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nick

What about those of us who will happily buy a fast, sporty luxury tourer?

You surely would not want to condemn us to drive the products of the Bavarian Motor Works?

Cheers

Patrick

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Patrick,

Why not, what's so bad about them??? (Waiting to get shot down in flames now):D:D:D:D

Seriously, it sounds to me that you've already got your ideal car in the 75... Well, it's not too sporty, but it's quite quick, and you can't have everything you know... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
The 75 2.5 V6 has 177ps, the ZT190 - 190ps. Difference 13 :D

I would say that both are similar in accelerating, had both and don't think the ZT is much quicker. If you had the aircon on the ZT and off on the 75 they would probably develop the same ps.

Cornering the 75 rolls, the ZT doesn't and thus gives you more confidence if driving through a quick corner.

As mentioned its horses for courses, and I think the main difference is in the looks and suspension. But lets not kid ourselves that our ZT's are much faster than a 75, they are not. Personally, I like a mixture of both specifications. So I welcome the MONOGRAM scheme!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Jerry, but you haven't done a back to back test of both, so can't say for certain - you have been driving evos in the meantime, so practically anything seems slow after that!

:D

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Nick,

The 75 and EVO VI overlapped for nearly 2 years. Yes, I had the EVO VII without a 75.

But since owning only the ZT, I have driven a 75 - 13 ps is nothing. A badly setup ZT maybe as good as a well set up 75 (the EVO VII lasted 4 months from Dec until the ZT arrived and slightly overlapped too). Thus between the 75 and ZT was > 4 months.

The ZT 190ps v R75 177ps - relating to performance is nothing, the performance figures tell the story, you have to agree here Nick.

However, the ZT IS is significantly better than the 75 around corners (handling), without question.

Finally, I know I'm getting senile, but the 75 was only sold in Dec and the VI in Nov and its only May now. I haven't quite lost it yet, maybe MAX would disagree though. :)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
more debate!!!

Guys I have driven both cars back to back. R75 V6 and ZT190. Couldn't really tell a great deal of difference between the two regarding performance.

However, the most noticeable was in the handling, the ZT much, much firmer and the engine note only a tad more audible.

Hell of a choice, both cars have there attributes and style pitched at individuals taste. Surely, this is the key to the debate.

I like the front end of the ZT, siffer handling and big rims. Graft that on to a R75 and I would go for a Rover 75 any day of the week.

Now that I'm 40 + I suppose I qualify as a category!!!:rolleyes:

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rumour from MGR is that ZTs may be fitted with much smaller boot lid 'lip' spoiler, ala Jag X type, and softer suspension settings in response to feedback from customers, and potential customers, especially business users and company car types. Not sure if these are proposed as standard fit or an option at the moment.
Spoiler I can understand but softer suspension will remove one of the best features of the ZT, lets hope that 'sports' suspension is still offered as an option for the serious driver.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts