MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Only recently has this started to happen, dont know if the weather is causing the issue?

Temp gauge will only make it above first quater and then drop to cold, interior of the car wont heat up much at all. Really cannot even get the windows to clear or feel warm whilst driving the car and my journey to work is an hour....any ideas???

Thankyou

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt, thing is when the car is stationery the temp guage will sit just below center but the car still wont heat up interior wise?
Could you PM me a price for new thermostat fitted and coolant change cause im sure thats due, wouldn't be till new year cause of xmas spend.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Could also be a fualty heater regulator that isn't opening up to allow hot water through the mattrix.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
that wouldn't affect the temp gauge though. If temp gauge is reading normally and no heat, blockage in matrix or valve not opening or a blown pressure relief by-pass valve (fitting in some some cars like R25/ZR) not sure if they did one on R45/ZS

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
This is exactly what my MR2 did when I bought it, I took the stat out (was suprised there was one in there given the previous owners tunning mods) and stuck it in a pan, it opened at 60 degrees! Now I have a new one in there the car warms up and stays warm a lot better.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Coolant up to the max level?

Heater is the first thing to suffer when the coolant level drops

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coolant up to the max level?

Heater is the first thing to suffer when the coolant level drops
Always keep levels topped up... Just takes ages for the internal temp to warm up and drops the engine temp below quarter

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
How did you do that? Presuming your car is a 180 the housing is sealed?

Unless you have a 4pot then the thermo is removable, too much hassle boiling it for a 4pot as a new thermo is like 3 quid whereas for a 180 it's like 30 quid
Its removable on the Mr2 as I said, its also removable on my ZS180 now I have the metal stat option. I boiled it up to make sure it was faulty, wasnt putting the car back together without knowing what the fault was 3 quid or not.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Have you fixed your thermostat yet Dean?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts