MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this could be a long one. I've got a ZS180, all standard. It's having new cambelts next week and water pump.
What I'd like to know is whether it's worth fitting an induction kit and sports exhaust if, from what I've read, the standard exhuast manifold is rubbish? I'd like to get it re-tuned as well, so what are all the things I need to do before the re-tune so as not to waste my money getting it done more than once?
And can the variable intake system be serviced to make sure it's running as best as it can?
Thanks
Jaseone

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
another kent mg owner :) the induction and exhaust are a must if u want too mod the car, will also add great sound, a decat opens up the bhps too :) but all depends on ur cash flow, can also get manifold/cams for the 180 too but thats in the 1000s, try too get to a kent meet

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I'm just up the road from you, and there are a few of us in the area :) do you have a mk1 or mk2?

You should get good gains from fitting induction and exhaust, i've never had Janspeed mani's fitted so not sure about those?

Most folks have fitted either BMC or ITG Maxogen induction kits, and are quite straightforward to fit. Do a search and it will come up with alot of info on modifications for the 180. :)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
1) Get a ITG Maxogen or BMC induction kits
2) Get a cat back exhaust
3) Get a decat, the car will pass current MOT emmisions test as there are pre cats in the manifolds but keep the cat incase they change the MOT and it physically has to be fitted.
4) Go to Reidy in Yovil and get a remap.

I wouldn't bother with a new manifold, they are like £600 and the O/E manifold isn't that bad.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It's a mk1, completely standard.

So is it still worth getting an induction kit and cat back exhaust if the outlet manifold is poor?
I personally don't think £600+ is worth the 2 or 3 bhp gains you'd get from the manifolds, the induction, de cat and cat back exhausts give gains for the same price.

The decat will give you the same gains with the advantage it can be changed back cheaply and easily.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ok, this could be a long one. I've got a ZS180, all standard. It's having new cambelts next week and water pump.
What I'd like to know is whether it's worth fitting an induction kit and sports exhaust if, from what I've read, the standard exhuast manifold is rubbish? I'd like to get it re-tuned as well, so what are all the things I need to do before the re-tune so as not to waste my money getting it done more than once?
And can the variable intake system be serviced to make sure it's running as best as it can?
Thanks
Jaseone
Before do anything change the thermostat housing sods law it will split leak within a month of having belts done. For 50 quid for kit so worth doing.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Depends on budget.

Paddle clutch and flywheel good option
Piper 270 cams well worth while
Front camber a must
Braided lines
Decent tyres Toyo T1R's
NEW BRAKE FLUID 10 year old fluid is rubbish
Antiroll bar and drop link bushes.

If it was me, fluid bushes and get tracking laser alignment done.

Stock manifolds are fine get 227 from mine with them and stock exhaust with decat and tweak back box.

ITG induction best money you will ever spend added 9 bhp to my car from piper venom previously fitted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry TalkingCars, missed the bit at the end where you mentioned the o/e mainfold was good enough, thanks for the info.

Car13, why is the thermostat housing going to cause a problem after new belts? I'm having the water pump done as a precaution too as someone else has said that new belts could put more stress on the old water pump and it would soon fail.
How much is the ITG Maxogen from you? Originally that is the one I wanted but then I saw the price.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sorry TalkingCars, missed the bit at the end where you mentioned the o/e mainfold was good enough, thanks for the info.

Car13, why is the thermostat housing going to cause a problem after new belts? I'm having the water pump done as a precaution too as someone else has said that new belts could put more stress on the old water pump and it would soon fail.
How much is the ITG Maxogen from you? Originally that is the one I wanted but then I saw the price.
Thermostat has a life span of 4 years, its best practice to have it changed with the belts as the fluid will be drainded but its more labour as the inlets must come off.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
As above your paying all the labour to get car stripped back for belts, the thermastat housing and link pipes are plastic so almoast case harden and split.

For 49 quid for kit money well spent (think thats what Rimmers charge).

ITG we can do for £365 + postage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.