MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen else where that 4x4 cars like the scooby have big transmision losses oposed to FWD cars like the ZS180.
Do any of the forum experts know what sort of power the the ZS180 puts down on the road at the wheels ?
It appears to me that although the scooby has a 30 bhp advantage at the flywheel most of this could be gobbled up by the transmision and the 180/scooby are quite a even match.

am i right???

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Hiya Kevin,

I'm not sure of absolute power outputs, but I can definately tell you this.

My brother had one of the last "old" shape Imprezas (W reg). When I got the ZT, we checked them out, and in practically every area except off the line traction and traction out of the bends, the two cars were near enough identical, except the the ZT didn't have as much body roll around the bends.

I've since done the same to another Impreza, who was driving along tailgating me along a dual carriageway. I let him go past me, and then we had to slow down for a roundabout. at which point I pulled out again behind him as we were both seemingly headed in the same direction. He thought he'd be clever and go round onto the motorway off the junction super quick, but I just kept right behind him all the way up the slip road. The best bit was that he understeered across into the second lane on the slip road, whereas I managed to stay in my lane, and still keep up with him. (superior grip from tyres perhaps?)

Since these events my brother bought an STi - couldn't handle me having a car ner enough as quick as his, but much more comfy... :)

ANyhow, I've digressed from the subject slightly, so needless to say that as the ZT is near enough as fast as the Scoob, and the ZS is slightly quicker, it should be every bit the match for the Scoob. I would presume it would have the same traction difficulties as the ZT though...

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Robin, I understand your sceptecism, because I would have been too, unless I'd seen it for myself

Have to say that the scoob would easily beat me off the line, but after that, it's just not as clear cut as you would think.

(Went round a well known roundabout (to me and my brother) the other day at about 5 mph faster than brother in his STi could manage. Much more grip from my tyres mind you....

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Yup, me too... :D

I don't know that it so much gains power in terms of BHP. However, it certainly is just beginning to loosen up nicely (on 7k miles now), so the speeds are improving all the time.

Also never realised just how fast round the bends it is until I went round that roundabout the other day....

·
Registered
173 Posts
MG Power

I'm really pleased with my ZS180. I have timed it myself and I think it is much faster than the 0-60 times would suggest. Mind you I think allot of it is down to driver skill and tyres.

I've done 15,000 miles in my ZS already, it feels much faster now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had my old Rover 620ti on the rolling road once and it was chucking out 198lb/ft of torque at 6000rpm,Rover officially quoted 174lb/ft,not bad for a car that had 124000 miles under its alloys!!.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts