MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was having a new pair of front tyres fitted this morning prior to the MOT and whilst the front wheels were off I thought I'd have a quick nose under the arches. I noticed a small amour of grease on the brake pipe and bottom arm and upon further inspection I noticed the OS outer cv gaitor has split.

I've been on the 'bay and ordered a replacement which says that it should be easy to stretch over the CV joint rather than requiring the shaft to be removed from the CV.

Anyone replaced theirs?

I moved the MOT back to the end of the week so as to do the CV gaitor first.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I think you will find that like most cars, you have to take the cv joint off the shaft, put the gaitor on and refit the cv joint etc.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Good luck but you'll still have to split the joint from the hub.

·
Registered
382 Posts
if you read the ad thoroughly you will see that this is not a proper ZS part but a so-called universal stretch boot designed to be used with special fitting tools. If you need to ask then I guess you don't have the special tools so you will need to strip down the shaft, in which case why not do a proper job and use the correct Rover part.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it's arrived less than 24hrs after ordering it. So service-wise I can't fault them.

Just had a brief nose through the instructions & there's NO mention of any special tools required.

MGDavid, you're right, a cv gaitor stretching/fitting tool is probably one of the only tools I don't own.

I carry universal CV gaitors for use on the race cars but asked the question to see how/if anyone had used these or fitted new gaitors to the ZS.

As I was once told by an ex work collegue "A fool who asks is a fool for 5 mins, a fool who doesn't ask but gets it wrong is a fool for life"

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Good Luck then. But I can't see for the life of me, any rubber that fits snug on the drive shaft being capable of stretching over the girth of the cv joint.

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
I replaced both of mine using universal stretch ones.

I ordered the CV fitting cone, they just pop on. Only thing I had trouble with was the smaller clip, that got thrown and replaced with a cable tie.

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
you can do it using an old cone, cut the cone to the diameter of the cv joint and place it over the cv, turn the cv boot iside out, grease the cone up and then slide the cv boot over the cone

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Good tip that. I stand corrected. But is that possible with all cv boots or just this particular brand?

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Only the ones that say they can stretch.

Like Stretch Armstrong

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
I remember using a new split cv gator, looked nice and easy, cut the old one off, clean out the old grease, regrease, carefully apply the super glue to one half of the gator, push together and hold for a few seconds. Fit the ties each end, finish.

What a mess, grease everywhere, trying to glue and hold the two halves together. Did it in the end, but next time I took it down to the garage and paid them a few quid.

:wave:

·
Registered
259 Posts
my mate did exactly what typhoon180 said with the cone and stretched it,cost me 6 quid i think,my mates an x mechanic so he does all my necessary work

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
I belive the brand is called "Bailicast"

You can buy a kit that comes with a cone/lube/cv boot etc etc

I have used them to great effect in the past, i managed to do one of my old impreza cvboots in around 40 mins!!

Dismantled a little of the front end, then i removed the inner cv joint from the gearbox (held in place on the impreza by a pin you tap out) then i slide the boot over the inner joint, all the way up to the outside joint and cut the old one off.

DODDLE!!

Not sure how the ZS inner joints are fitted to the gearbox though, never had to remove one yet, i did change a complete out CV joint last year though (iirc about £20 on ebay)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts