MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't the engine sound nice and throaty under hard acceleration? :D :D

What's the noise level like inside the cabin for those that have fitted induction kits? Personally, more noise on long journeys would be too much - is there a freer flowing panel filter available?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Jerry Flint said:
Doesn't the engine sound nice and throaty under hard acceleration? :D :D
What can I say? :D :D :D :D :D

What's the noise level like inside the cabin for those that have fitted induction kits? Personally, more noise on long journeys would be too much - is there a freer flowing panel filter available?
I haven't got an induction kit, but am seriously considering the ITG, or maybe the PiperX Viper, once I'm convinced that I won't need to call on my warranty again. I find that at 60+ in 5th, it is the tyre and wind noise that dominates. I reckon that a little extra engine noise will hardly be noticable on a cruise, but will hopefully just serve to increase the grin factor when exercising the car a little more. :) -> :D In fact, Roger reckons that the ITG only produces more noise under full throttle (open loop, I guess).

Hey, I'm even wondering about a free-flow stainless exhaust as well... Just needing the confidence to tear up my warranty and hand a blank cheque to my insurance company!

S.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
More you say

I have the piper X induction kit fitted to my 180, it sounds great when you floor the pedal, imo what a V6 should sound like.

Loads of different stories on how to mount the ****** things though, in reality an air induction kit should have forced air form outside the engine bay to increase the air velocity hence increasing the fuel flow via the ECU. I have managed to run some flexible hose down through a cowl and connect it to an air scoop (piece of BQ kit for tumble dryer hose extensions). It was a case of improvising and it seems to work and the real bonus is that I made a great tidy job.

After speaking with a few engineer’s I found out that the ambient temperature in your engine bay while moving is enough for the cold air induction but it will help if you have forced air intake for obvious reasons.

NOTE,, I tried and tested it both ways and find the results are better using my scoop, be aware that these type of kits only offer performance when they have sufficient air flow (above 40 mph).

I’m sure there are enough graphs and write-ups to tell the story but I believe doing my own testing and decide the results myself.

As for the cabin noise, not that bad, you will find that you have the windows down when you drive after fitting the kit just so you can enjoy the sound, alternatively the ICE or WAK (Wife and Kids) will drown out any road noise.

108 Boy

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Anthracite, sounds as though you are getting brave. :D I imagine an induction kit and a Hayward & Scott should give 20xtra bhp. After having an induction kit (HKS on the Jap beast), it WILL be noisier that standard, but maybe not as noticeable as the HKS. I certainly wouldn't put a Pipercross ect on a daily drive car (but that's my opinion of course). I would go for a panel filter & exhaust (as you say be prepared for warranty issues - like you won't have any!).

Also, agree with 180 boy on location of the "induction Kit," they need nice cool air the ones I saw locate exactly behind the rad. Trunking will do the trick though!

Be interesting to get some bhp figures. :D

I know Nick Young was thinking of contacting Hayward & Scott for an exhaust on his ZT190+ They have a very good reputation in the EVO World. If you get it done - we need pictures Steve. You maybe the first to get the bug. :D :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
XPower Admin! said:
I know Nick Young was thinking of contacting Hayward & Scott for an exhaust on his ZT190+ They have a very good reputation in the EVO World. If you get it done - we need pictures Steve. You maybe the first to get the bug. :D :D
Just gave them a call. They reckon on £400-450 + VAT for a cat-back and are currently booking for mid-July. More concerningly, as they don't yet have a pattern for the car, they would need my car for 2-3 days to make it up. Hmmm, tempting though, albeit a bit more expensive than other exhausts of which I've heard. Incidentally, he did say that they do make the exhaust for the MG rally car - which I assume means that driven by our Gwyndaf.

Oh well, enough dreaming for the mo',

S.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Steve

That's obviously in full stainless - what diameter back pipe did you discuss?

You would be the first then and they do make a quality product. Puts you up to Scoob territoty and no transmsision loss through 4wd - I would say better than Scoob. They are £600+ for th EVO.

If they want your car as a pattern, maybe that nice word discount could be used. Also, mention there maybe some more nutters from here considering it! :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wey hey! Just 'phoned my dealer to enquire on warranty issues and here is what the service manager said:
  • Exhaust
    The exhaust is only covered by a 1-year guarantee as it is considered a part which is subject to wear-and-tear. This means that you are quite entitled to replace it with a non-MGR part without compromising your 3-year warranty on the rest of the car.
  • Induction kit
    We wouldn't be able to fix anything which might have been caused by the kit. If the inlet valves melted, however unlikely that may be, that would not be covered but, if the problem is obviously unrelated, we would still fix it under warranty.
  • Braided brake hoses
    I would have concerns on the quality of the parts since the brakes are critical to the safety of the car, but there would be no effect on the warranty.
  • Kevlar brake-pads
    Same as with the exhaust, you can replace them within the warranty period without any impact on it.
And to put the icing on the cake, they quote under £125 each to supply, fit and balance Pirelli PZeros! I love my dealer - MGR should get more like them. :D

Jerry,

Didn't talk through details as I didn't want to waste the guy's time until I was serious. I just said cat-back with an unfinished tail-pipe. I would guess that it would be 75mm provided there is room under the car for it - so I would have the same diameter tail-pipe.

180 boy,

Do you have the PiperX filter or the Viper?

S.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Steve

That's excellent news. :D Is the warranty stuff dealer wide or just applicable to yours? The info he has provided would be very suitable for a FAQ's page.

·
Registered
388 Posts
XPower Admin! said:
Is the warranty stuff dealer wide or just applicable to yours?
That's a good question. I first called the MGR helpdesk. The guy I spoke to said he would ask their warranty department and get back to me. When he 'phoned back, he said that the warranty department had refused to answer his questions - they will only talk to dealers apparently!:rolleyes:

When I called my dealer, he answered my questions without calling MGR so I don't know whether individual dealers are given some latitude in these matters or whether this is the MGR company line. I did, however, get the impression that the exhaust/pads thing was standard MGR policy - but I really don't know for sure.

S.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Steve

When you have a definite - please e-mail and I'll place the answer on a new page on the web. I'll also ask Kernahnas the same question when I get the time.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Anthracite

I have the Viper kit.

I'm looking at CAT replacement systems at the moment to compliment the induction kit, lot's of companies happy to help out in this area.
I see Peco are about to release a system for the 180 “Boxer Range” will be interesting to see the price and how it fits.

But in all honesty, I’m ready to put some serious BHP under my hood and will make my choice how to go soon.

Charger, NOS or a re-map ECU ……….. decisions, decisions.

180 Boy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
OliverZR120 said:

What is the dealers name? and where they based?

A dealer that good deserves to get some free publicity:D
Mantles Rover in Royston, N. Herts. Highly recommended for both sales and after-sales service.

Anyway, must dash - off to Scotland to spend a couple of weeks walking in the Highlands, living out of (and possibly in ;) ) a rucksac. See you all in early June!

TTFN,

S.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
FAQ

Steve

I would like to add a FAQ page, nothing controversial will be included. Think your reply to the "warranty" issue would be reasonable to add to this. Have you any objection?

I will of course add the usual "get out clauses". :help:

Colin Booker on the www.lancerregister.com has made a fainatstic FAQ for the EVO. Take a look at it you will be impressed. I have no intention of cloning that!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Re: FAQ

Jerry Flint said:
Steve

I would like to add a FAQ page, nothing controversial will be included. Think your reply to the "warranty" issue would be reasonable to add to this. Have you any objection?
I'm back! :)

My only concern is that the answer may not be definitive. I've heard of some owners who have been told that replacing the brake pads will void the entire 3-year warranty. :eek: Short of any directive from MGR, I think that all that could be put in the FAQ is to discuss these things with your dealer before committing yourself to the mod. By all means quote my reply to show how reasonable dealers can be on the subject. :D

S.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Steve

You are right - if we/I get it wrong then it could be embarrasing.

OK, FAQ's are now dead. Too much hassle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts