MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky enough to have a ZS180 on an extended test drive - here are my findings to date:

The LMG car does look good. Driving it today it certainly gets the sticky fingered ones pointing at it.

The external colour keyed bits also suite the cars profile and the interior apart from some switch gear isn't too bad either. Not as bad as I thought considering all the reports on the INTERIOR!

The spoiler however does get in the way of rearward vision, much worse than on the EVO VI and VII! Seems to be directly in line with my rearward vision!

As far as an MGF replacement is concerned - I much prefer the consistant and better quality plastics used on the inside of this car. Remember when Honda were building the similar platfrom at Swindon, who built the best car? Of course Longbridge - which shocked Honda!

Why buy the TF when this is much cheaper, has four seats and has that lovely V6 grow!!!!!

As for performance and handling - its all been said before, but if I have to say anything its exemplary. OK, it does run out of grunt at high speeds, whereas the EVO still pulled like a train at 3 figure speeds, but at this price who can complain? The suspension is taughter than the Trophy and picks up any rough surface just as well, which may not be to everyones taste. Maybe this car is not for the faint hearted!

But IMHO, for the money it's the performance baragin of the 21st century. :D

Suggest you buy this classic today if you want lots of bang for your EURO/Buck/Pound!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
"Why buy the TF when this is much cheaper, has four seats and has that lovely V6 grow!!!!! "

Because the TF hasn't got a roof Jerry... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Besides no roof - it hasn't 4 seats - 4 doors - 6 cylinders. I do like 2 seaters though, being a bit of a devils advocate Nick. Thought you knew me by now!

However, if its performance you want and added big car security the ZS wins. Also accelerates much better than the ZT in gears 1 & 2!

You must remember we have a 2 seater - have had 6 - 2-seaters in my driving career - all MGR.

2 x Spitfire 1500's (one new + one 6 months old).
2 x TR7 V8 (one new and converted to TR8 + one a few yrs old).
2 x MGF (both bought new).

PS: Only one any good as well - the TR8 conversion. Rest a bit hairdressy!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
XPower Admin! said:
Besides no roof - it hasn't 4 seats - 4 doors - 6 cylinders. I do like 2 seaters though, being a bit of a devils advocate Nick. Thought you knew me by now!

However, if its performance you want and added big car security the ZS wins. Also accelerates much better than the ZT in gears 1 & 2!

Yopu must remember we have a 2 seater - have had 6 - 2-seaters in my driving career - all MGR.

2 x Spitfire 1500's (one new + one 6 months old).
2 x TR7 V8 (one new and converted to TR8 + one a few yrs old).
2 x MGF (both bought new).
Yes Jerry, and I would have thought that by now, you'd realise when I was winding you up! :D

Have to say , driving behind you F/TF drivers on Sunday made me REALLY want a convertible.. But I need 4 seats... Perhaps the "forthcoming" X80? :)

Back on topic, I'd agree - the 'T' isn't that quick off the line. Once it's going, it's quick, but the ZS has a 300kg advantage, which I guess is what makes it quicker to get "on the move"...

When test-driving the ZS, I decided that the car was great fun to drive (more fun than the 'T'). However, when spending 15-20k on a car, you have to consider keeping the car for an extended period of time. So I asked myself, could I look at this interior for the next 5 years. And the answer (for me) was no!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick

Touche!

However Nat now tells me she would like a 2 seater instead of the ZR on order! Something to do with "image" :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hmm a bit of word twisting going on there I think Jerry ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Nick Young said:
When test-driving the ZS, I decided that the car was great fun to drive (more fun than the 'T'). However, when spending 15-20k on a car, you have to consider keeping the car for an extended period of time. So I asked myself, could I look at this interior for the next 5 years. And the answer (for me) was no!
When driving the ZS, I find I spend my time looking at the road - and occasionally the rev counter! :D

To each their own, but I had a Honda Civic 5dr with the same dash for 3.5 years before I traded it for the ZS. I have no problem with the thought of another 5 years with that interior - it may not look as 'designed' as some more modern cars but I find it perfectly ergonomic and servicable. One nice thing about driving one of the older cars in its class is that it does at least look like a car rather than a bread van like the CTR!;)

S.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
LOL Steve, it is a bit "tall" isn't it... :)

I guess every person has their own opinions, and like I always say - if everyone like the same things, the world would be a boring place!

I loved the ZS (Nat wiil tell you I seriously considered it), but sadly, an increasing proportion of my time in the car seems to be sat in traffic these days, with nothing to look at other than the dash.. (You can only stare at the back of the car in front for so long!)

When it comes down to it, I guess what car you buy is an emotive choice - what "does it" for you, may not do it for someone else - For instance, I loved the "concept" of the X80, but it seems that no-one else did, so it's back on the drawing board for now!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the dash in the ZS(/45), just that when you compare it to the dash in the ZT, it's not as nice...

For the record, everyone complains about the following too:

R25/ZR interior - personally I think it's fine, nice and comfy and esp. with the leather interior, it looks great!

Bendy key - What's wrong with the bendy key - It's a darn sight more ergonomic on the pocket than the ZT key..... :D

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
What interior ?

Haven't had time to look at it yet ;)

Seriously though, whilst I must agree with Nick the ZT is much nicer inside, I think the point is that MGs have always been simplistic, and more aimed at giving a driving experience coupled with an affordable price.

I think considering its age the interior has tarted up quite well, but had I have been doing the job I would have put a few more bits of alloy around the place, a la Audi TT... Gear knob, pedals and twiddly vent type bits.

Oh and a cup holder to bring it right into the 21st Century.

Mike :cool:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If i could kiss the butts of the engineers that have given me so much driving pleasure over the last year,then believe me i would.
On a technical stretch of road the ZS could easily keep up with some cars costing 2-3 times as much and that is fact i know.
At speeds of 100+ as jerry has said the KV6 gets a bit breathless and this is the only thing that lets the ZS down when it locks horns with the big boys in straight line races.
With the ZS replacement 2 years away i think MG R should bring out a 200+ ZS ,preferably 220 to keep interest going at least by the end of the year-the chassis deserves it.
The car is so close to ledgendary status i can taste it on my lips,so come on MG Rover,pull your finger out and give us the ZS to blow the CTR into the weeds. ;)

kev

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ZS

I have to say I like the ZS - shame we cannot have a ZR, ZS, ZT, & TF maybe if I do the lotto a bit more or Jerry does a few more hours then just maybe. :D Yep, good car the ZS, I am impressed with it to:) :)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
More Power

Ok guys

With regard to a little bit more power (200+ bhp) I'm in the process of a project ZS180 (my own)

I have been looking into different ways to go with modifying the engine.

Chip
Turbo
Super Charger
NOS

I have had some great conversations with so many tuning companies and they have looked into the possibilities and it’s looking good.
These guys are not back street cowboys they know there stuff, some people I spoke with said no way after looking at the engine spec but I have a good idea of which way to go.

Yes I understand the issues with warranty, insurance but more power does come at a cost which I’m ready to pay.

Just for the record, the car is great and does all the things you would expect with the engineering that has gone into it, but IMO I feel it lacks top end guts.

180 Boy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ZS

My day off so Jerry took me out for a drive in the ZS again it's a very nice car for the £'s he took a few photo's so will be loading them up soon anyway once again the car is great.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A revelation!

Max is right. The car is a revelation. MGR's hidden secret.

Posted a report on site with a few pics. Need to take some more - engine - interior....................

Which reminds me I need to do the same for the ZT.

Now I know why you ZS owners are always smiling! :D

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Nice work

Read report tonight on main site, nice piccies.
Would agree with you the power does run out at 3 figures, haven't had a decent space to max out yet but at 120 - 130 its run out of pull.

Nice work.

:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just had a good run in the car (will be the last, before I give it back). :(

Further findings:

Kenwood Stereo, is far too fiddly to operate satisfactory. Conclusion, buy an Alpine or Sony head unit.

Acceleration is phenomonal and no torque steer is apparent. Feels good even with the AC on.

The ignition key - sometimes difficult to insert.

Paint quality - is superb.

Driving position is good, seats firm and hold you in place.

Quality feel about the whole car - mistaken for a *** today in a petrol station by a young male cashier.

As mentioned before great value performance car.

May have persuaded 2 guys to buy - JIM and someone off board.

Do I get commission?

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Just how far was this 'last drive'. Seems to be a coincidence that Jim has test driven a ZS today.

And I was thinking that he might have gone to Wrights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts