MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per thread title - the badges (one in the front grille, other bigger one on the boot) are quite faded - are replacemenst available from anywhere? / easy to fit etc?

Cheers
Dave

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Got my ones off ebay, came in the mg/rover plastic bags.

Easy to get the old ones off if you use a bit of heat from a hair dryer or similar.

I did mine when we had the really hot weather, used masking tape all round and then slid a thin knife under and pulled. On the front one I used a too wide tool, and it dug into the paint work a bit. Narrower the better.

Just clean up the old adhesive and the new ones just stick on.

Some spray clear lacquer over the new badges to try and stop the fading.

:wave:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant advice

Many thanks :)

Dave

·
Mk1 ZS180 Saloon XPG
341 Posts
You'll be fortunate to locate a boot badge for a Mk2 ZS saloon (Part no DAB000330), they have been NLA new for ages. The grille badge is DAH000040WXA, still available from stock via XPart dealers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You'll be fortunate to locate a boot badge for a Mk2 ZS saloon (Part no DAB000330), they have been NLA new for ages. The grille badge is DAH000040WXA, still available from stock via XPart dealers.
You can buy an aftermarket one off eBay. I bought a couple of ones meant for the LE500 as they are Black instead of Burgundy :) looks alot nicer!

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I did mine when we had the really hot weather, used masking tape all round and then slid a thin knife under and pulled. On the front one I used a too wide tool, and it dug into the paint work a bit. Narrower the better.
I suggest a bit of thin wire / fishing line / or string instead of a knife as it wont even scratch the paint - pull it back and fore a few times. The front one can be pushed out from behind with the help of a bit of heat if you take the grill off the bonnet.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Fishing line sounds a good idea, I had a try of a thin bladed screwdriver, found that was a bit iffy so moved on to a thin paint scraper, that did the rear one OK.

When I tried it on the front badge, MK2 ZS, it was too wide as there is a bit of a bow where the badge sits and when I wriggled it to get it under it caught the paint work. Got a dinner knife and that slid under OK.

Fishing line would stop the risk of clipping the paint, its not much but my Yellow touch up paint, looks orange against the lemon!!!!!

As I said I did mine when we had that really hot spell, just turned the car so the badges got the benefit of the sun. Think hair dryer will be needed if its going to be done before next summer. Think I just used some white spirit to clean up behind the badges, but this suited me and my paint work. As they say, try it out on a spot that wont be noticed, if it strips the paint back to the metal!!!!!

Must admit it took me a year to attack the badges, had them sitting in a box, just the hot weather was too good to miss.

:wave:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Just done my inserts (not the full badge). Both off ebay original product I think they were £4.95 each. I carefully slit through each insert with a stanley knife then levered them out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do replica oe style badge inserts and have a mk2 rear and front in stock,can post pics if needed
Yes please - can you?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
143 Posts
I only have photos of the small badges fitted but these will give you the idea of what my version looks like.They have a clear resin dome applied which makes them fully uv and weather proof.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice

Please can you PM me with payment / ordering details for a set (Front grille and rear boot) for a MKII MGZS180 saloon in Xpower grey?

Or do you have an on-line shop?

regards
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts