MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
cerbman said:
does the ZS seem that much quicker? and what do you think of both cars?
I did test drive both - though it was ~10 months ago. Of the cars that I drove, the ZS did feel significantly quicker but they were both lowish mileage cars so that doesn't mean that the same will be true once the engines have loosened up. The main difference was the whole feel of the cars. The ZS felt more like a sports car whereas the ZT felt more like a GT. The ZS was a bit noisier and pointier while the ZT was more comfortable and compliant. I have to say that the ZT really impressed me though. I'm not a fan of big cars - too much mass to change direction in a corner - but, on the back roads, the ZT handle its bulk remarkably well. The only, slightly bizarre, criticism that I have of the ZT (or at least the one that I drove) was that the rev counter was damped so that I was able to hit the rev limiter in 1st while the counter was only reading just over 6,000rpm! Hardly in keeping with the sports car image!

I hope that is of some interest. I'm sure that Jerry will be able to give you a more recent 'compare and contrast' after his recent extended '180 test-drive.

S.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Hiya,

The ZS is quicker, no doubt, but it mainly feels quicker in terms of resposiveness (if that's a word). It's also quicker off the line, and a bit easier to get the power down.

I also think the ZT does admirably with the weight penalty it has, keeping up with much more glamerous competition around the bendy stuff...

I have to say though, that the revelation has been Nats ZR. It's a bit lacking in power for my liking (105ps model), but economy is great, and it grips round the bends amazingly well...

Quicker than the ZS? Probably not, but personally I think it's more fun... :D

G

·
You nned to test drive them both!

I think Steve has summed it up very well.

Plus I've written elsewhere on this. I do like drivers cars. The ZS fulfills the requirement handsomely. Only down side is the less than modern interior, when compared to the ZT. However, if bought sensibly it is the bargain of this century. To be homest I wish I had bought one as the V8 ZT is just around the corner.

As for the ZT, it does shuffle on maybe just as well, but the experience isn't so direct and go-cart like. When, MAX & I were discussing the difference we lickened the ZS's handling abilities to a "mini" but with much noe performance.

Having said that we DO like our ZT and feel immensely proud every time we drive it. Especially as we get admiring glances from all those foreign car drivers. Just put up 3,000 miles and with LM this weekend it is very rewarding to drive.

Robin, the only solution is to test drive them bak to back.:xxrofl:

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jerry
I would like to test both, but my local MGR dealer won't lend me the cars for a long period on their insurance and say I need to take out insurance myself, but my insurance company won't do short term cover.

G

·
Kernahans has the same proviso - most dealers do on test drives. Very unusual for your insurance company to be like that though. :sad:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
ZS180-Mini

ZS 180 is the most fun I have had out side my Minis
Didn't think I would get into modern cars the way I have with the new MG's.
I used to think 'nobody makes fun drivers cars anymore!!'
THEY DO NOW!!!!
Come on where is the MGR Mini
They could do a better job than the bummer mini.

Chris

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hate the *** mini, or Biggi as I call it, it looks like someone has taken a Mini and blown it up with a pump and it's become distorted, the same size inside, but bloated outside, what a mess. If MGR were allowed, they could make such a good job of a REAL Mini replacement.

·
Chinese Crackers
3,585 Posts
Given the magic wand that MG R waved over the old 200 and 400 platforms, I think they should drag the 100/metro platform out and use the K-series to come up with a budget priced mini sized Z Se7en or ZM, and use it for a Midget sports car as well. Afterall, wasn't the Metro meant to replace the Mini, better late than never! Come to think of it, haven't a few kit car manufacturers already done this?

Martin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
MartinW said:
Given the magic wand that MG R waved over the old 200 and 400 platforms, I think they should drag the 100/metro platform out and use the K-series.
I was under the impression that the MGF platform was a heavily revised metro/100 platform

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
f/metro

thats it yes, an MGF is a metro going backwards.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
New Midget

Not so sure they should make a new midget or caterham type car, leave that to caterham and Lotus (i.e. the extreme sports cars). I do think that MGR would make a superb car but I don't think it would sell well enough to make it worth while. Look at Vauxhalls attempt into the market. I would say maybe remake the MGR V8 with the X power V8 from the ZT385 and reworked suspension setup. Keep the classic MGB looks so as to appeal to a differing market to the X80. But hurry up with the MGR Mini, we all want to see one so 'just do it' (not sure about this china/MGR small car???)

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts