MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

ZS Testdrive

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  cerbman 
#1 ·
Gang,

Went to my dealer on Saturday morning to take delivery of a ZS120 for an intense testdrive.
Verdict: MG did a really good job on the drivetrain. Car handels better and has less bodyroll than an original Rover Coupe. Even the brakes are better. The disappointing fact is the engine. The 3 first gears perform well if you rev it above 4000, but the fifth is a deception on highways and B-roads. It has a lack of torque and you need to change to 4th or even 3rd to get it going. Never the less, I drove back to my dealer's with a big laught in my face and I ordered a ZS180 with every possible option from the catalogue. If the 120 is already as good as it is, the 180 can't be wrong. I now have to wait until June before taking delivery of the car. I hope my wife will let me drive it, because I bought it as a replacement for her 1.4 200MK3 iS.

#2 ·
Hello PPO
are you he that is known as PACO on 220gti???
I can asure you that you wont be disapointed with the performance of the 180,i conducted a road test comparison with a 220 turbo coupe recently and i overhauled it :), though it must be said this was a "L" year car and may not not be kicking out the same bhp as when new.

kev

#3 ·
After just over 4k miles in my ZS120 I can only agree about 5th gear - great on motorways and A roads but tend to change down on nice twisty back roads - unless I can see that I can keep the speed up for a bit.

#4 ·
kevin neal said:
Hello PPO
are you he that is known as PACO on 220gti???
kev
Moien Kev,

Sorry , but I'm not Paco alias Capo of the 220GTI list. You aren't the first one to take me for him (or him for me). Even the members of the group do it. My real name is Pascal and I'm the guy from the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg. I organized the Lux meet and the trip to the Nuerburgring for he group last year.

Cheers...

#5 ·
Pascal,

I test-drove the ZS180 before I decided on the ZT190, and I have to say that the 180 most definately does go quickly in 5th, as the salesman in the garage and my wife will testify.. .:D

The only real problem I found with it (and is the reason I went for the ZT and not ZS), is that I did find the interior rather dated in the ZS. That said, it didn't really take away from the driving experience, I just preferred the newer look of the ZT. Plus, I personally think the front of the ZT looks more aggressive, esp. with the Xenon lights....

Which one have you ordered.. The Plus model? Any extras?

Did you ever sort out the new cams/head for the coupe? If so, what sort of bhp are you putting out now?

#6 ·
Nick Young said:

Which one have you ordered.. The Plus model? Any extras?
I ordered the ZS180 with the manual gearbox. I didn't go for the evo style spoiler, but took the small one. As extras I ordered everything available:

- metallic paint
- rear electric windows
- electric sunroof
- rear headrests
- real spare wheel
- white front indicators

Nick Young said:

Did you ever sort out the new cams/head for the coupe? If so, what sort of bhp are you putting out now?
My cams are with Piper at the moment to be regrinned. The head and valves are with the guy who's doing the rebuild. He wants to finish them off a bit. He also has some OE vernier pulleys for changing them to adjustable ones. I need to give him an induction and exhaust manifold next week, so he can also work on them. Once my car is at my dealer's for the next service, the whole engine will be taken apart, and the guy can work on the rods, pistons, crankshaft and flywheel. He wants to rebalance and lighten most of the original parts.

#11 ·
Nick Young said:
If so, just order some from the local dealer
I spoke to my dealer about making them clear - like the R45. Unfortunately, they are a single sealed headlight/indicator unit, so - even though it's only an internal secondary lens that needs changing - you have to change the whole unit on each side... at ~£150 each! :eek: The dealer was saying that a lot of people had asked about clear indicators, which maybe why they are now being offered as an option - too late for some of us though. :(

S.

G
#17 ·
Speed Mobile

It was a close run thing whether I bought a ZS - damn fine drivers car. Two months will soon pass - and it's the height of summer - nice!

Hopefully, after this seasons BTCC, they will better known with the "younger generation" who like speed and maybe the MG brand!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.