MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had fabricated rear lower strut brace for the ZS race car, the brief to engineering firm was strength but also weight reduction.

I will upload photos of finished items, Dan is happy to batch a load (10+) of these. I said I would see if any interest. Pictures to follow.

Pete

·
Registered
731 Posts
maybe Pete,
I was going to weld a tube/bar across the rear lower arm mounts, or is this for the top of the struts?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe Pete,
I was going to weld a tube/bar across the rear lower arm mounts, or is this for the top of the struts?
We had a piece of roll cage tube across the rear lower arms but we have been trying to get the car from 1120 kilos with out driver to 1020 kilos with driver for the new series we are entering so we have gone through everything to reduce weight and this has saved a couple.

Getting weight out of the car is hard work, we have had made a bespoke loom for the car which is a work of art and has saved over 25 kilos, the down side its cost a fortune but same set up as used in touring cars and the like.

When the car is reassembled over the next month I will get a load of pics and update on here. Hopefully adding the emerald ecu will give a few more horses and the weight reduction will improve our power to weight but still give the reliability that we have had for the past 4 seasons.

Moving from modified to full race class is a huge step as everything seems to cost a fortune, but that thats racing.

The aim is to be able to stay with ZR 190's and MGB 190's and Midget 190's and Metro 190's the MGB/Midget/Metros have at least 220 kilos less weight than us and we will see if the 35bhp advantage we have will be enough, if only the circuits were longer......

However we cant wait to get on track

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
As always I may be interested if the price is right.

maybe Pete,
I wouldn't be welding a tube here, the constant flexing will cause the welds to fail, poosibly dropping the tube into a rear wheel as you are driving - scary thoughts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Might be interested when you have pics =)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wouldn't be welding a tube here, the constant flexing will cause the welds to fail, poosibly dropping the tube into a rear wheel as you are driving - scary thoughts.
Isn't the idea of bracing to stop the constant flexing?

a good weld should be a stong if not strongest part, and this is what chaps who race the zs's have done, not heard of them falling off during a race yet though.

We often see braces help together with little more than 8/10mm threaded bar in paleces, when you look at them you wonder how the hell they stiffen things up when they are flexing at the weakest point, being that flimsey bit of threaded bar, know I know these are bought by fast road users rather than serious trackday or racers, but even so, these are not known for falling off. A good weld is much stronger than a bit of threaded bar.

Have you heard of this happening?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The idea of the brace is to stiffen the part of the car that is braced, in this case to reduce the movement between the 2 lower rear suspension units.

They will still be trying to move so those forces have to go some where.

If the welds are the strongest part then something else will take the stresses.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeap forces move round the car hence rose joints and solid bushes and seam welding the car for this year, the grip from slicks will put a lot of the cars parts understress this is why we have replaced everything with new and reinforced parts as required.

The Rover Coupe Tomcats factory prepared cars had a lot of mods done by what was MG Sport and racing so a few hints can come from that, likewise the ZS shares a lot of parts with the Integra hence the great chassis, and there are a lot of racing type R's so some knowledge can be gleaned from them.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drew

Looks good, we are using standard items with a few tweaks have to say the Civic set up looks good, is the role bar much thicker?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts