MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Previously Owned a ZS180 MK2
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MK2 ZS 180 saloon and the nearside rear door needs repair/replacement. I have seen a MK1 door on eBay for sale. Aside the obvious plastic trim bits on the outside, is the door shell the same as the MK2 so I can swap it over?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
yup:), may need to drill holes for clips for the bodykit trim cant remember but bar that exactly the same

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
open your door see if the clips come through at the edge honestly cant remeber, even if you didnt want to do drill holes you could remove the clips and just bond it on

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Is it me or is there nothing wrong with that door?

Only thing I know of that may be different is the positioning of the side impact bars - mine are parallel to ground (fitted basically behind rubbing strips), mates later MkI has them angled but cannot remember how - if you were able to just see the impact bars in front & rear doors they'd look like either ^ or v (if you see what I mean). You may be able to tell by looking at edge of door where skin meets frame - theres a bulge where end of bar fits iirc

·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it me or is there nothing wrong with that door?

Only thing I know of that may be different is the positioning of the side impact bars - mine are parallel to ground (fitted basically behind rubbing strips), mates later MkI has them angled but cannot remember how - if you were able to just see the impact bars in front & rear doors they'd look like either ^ or v (if you see what I mean). You may be able to tell by looking at edge of door where skin meets frame - theres a bulge where end of bar fits iirc
Gary, there is some corrosion where the arch shaped trim piece meets the door skin, it is quite bad. I had the car from 18 months old (in 2006) and at that time there was what appeared some paint reaction as big as your small finger nail, maybe smaller. But, I was lazy and didn't deal with it and over time has got a lot worse. Now, it either needs a new door or the rust taken back and door repainted. Take a close look at the door photo and you may pick out what I mean. I will see if I can upload a better photo.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Thats quite bad, surprising in a car that's only 5 years or so old.

The doors are interchangeable, the fun bit will be removing the wheel arch moulding in one piece, although the rust may work in your favour if it's disbonded it a bit, the recommended method of removal is with a hairdryer to soften the adhesive, it also warms the plastic moulding so it's less prone to snapping.

·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats quite bad, surprising in a car that's only 5 years or so old.

The doors are interchangeable, the fun bit will be removing the wheel arch moulding in one piece, although the rust may work in your favour if it's disbonded it a bit, the recommended method of removal is with a hairdryer to soften the adhesive, it also warms the plastic moulding so it's less prone to snapping.
Pete, thanks for the heads up on the best way to remove the trim. It is quite bad and am ashamed I let it get this bad. On the positive side, this is the only bit of rust on the car. Something must have gone wrong at the original build I think. The removal of the trim may reveal what went wrong in the early days.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
That is pretty bad, saw that on 1st pic but thought it was just water droplets or something.
Got nothing anywhere near that on my 02 ZS (worst bit I've ever come across is on a join on boot opening)

I wonder if the bodykit was stuck on with masking tape to protect paint and someone on the line was a bit keen with a knife and went and cut through the paint, rear screen rubber on one side of mine looks like it suffered something like that. Been the same since I had it at 4mth old.

·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That could be it yes, something happened in it's early days to penetrate and compromise the underlying paint protection. I might have a try in the next day or two at carefully removing the trim piece to see what lurks underneath it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts