MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I put down hard cash for a ZS180, I 'd be interested in any security problems current owners have (or lack of security probs, even!).

I know that EVERY car is a potential gift for the light-fingered and the joyrider. But as we all know, some are easier gifts than others. So if anyone has any personal experiences, stories, F.O.A.F, tips etc, about ANYTHING related to the Z's. Even stuff like: if I want to upgrade my stereo are there brands that will put potential thiefs off? Are there any figures about where the ZS come in the "easy to nick" league.

As I say, anything, really. Big or small.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Haven't heard of anything bad.

As for stereos - the only one's that someone won't want to steal are those that you probably wouldn't want anyway. Those below the standard of the standard fit units.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Should we be sharing this info online ?

Phil,

Do you want to buy one or nick one?? only kidding........

But seriously should this topic actually be discussed online, as you never know who might be looking in for tips on how to nick our beloved MG's. :(

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Should we be sharing this info online ?

mikeh said:
Phil,

Do you want to buy one or nick one?? only kidding........

But seriously should this topic actually be discussed online, as you never know who might be looking in for tips on how to nick our beloved MG's. :(

Regards

Mike
Hey Mike, give me your address and I'll pop round see what I can do..... !!

Seriousely, I see where you're coming from on this, and you are absolutely right.

But let's be honest. A dedicated pro. thief, the sort of person who makes his/her living from knocking off all types of cars on a regular basis will know by now just how to do it with an MG.
And there's really very little that we can do to deter this level of expertise but maybe an MG might present more of a deterrence to the a passing 'chancer', who doesn't have that level of 'expertise'?
(Actually, I'm on a security obsession at the moment , cos I had my CD player nicked from my Suzuki this week and the thief got in without apparently forcing any locks or breaking a window. A VERY professional job).

BTW. a colleague told me yesterday that there HAS been a list published (somewhere) recently of the "most secure" and "least secure" cars.
Anybody know where I'd be able to dig this list up?

Cheers, Phil

·
Registered
388 Posts
Phil,

I've not heard of any problems with security on the ZS, though I have heard that the locking wheel nuts are not the most difficult to circumvent. Perhaps an additional set (McGard (sp?) are supposed to be v. good) might help to ensure that those nice 17" wheels stay on your pride-and-joy.

Also, if you are replacing the stereo in your ZS, I can heartily recommend Blaupunkt. Instead of a bulky removable facia - which is often left inside the car - it uses a smart keycard. On leaving the car, you just pop it in your wallet. Even if it gets nicked, it won't work without the keycard - and the only way to get it to work with another keycard is to already have one that the unit accepts or to have the 'passport' which comes with the unit (and will be safely tucked away at home) so you can get a replacement direct from Blaupunkt. They sound pretty good too!

S.

G

·
The problem with upgrading your radio is that there is not enough room behind the head unit for things like suppressors, RCA leads etc etc. I had a real hard time fitting my MD player and all the wires for the amp into the ZS.

·
Registered
514 Posts
jfoste32 said:
The problem with upgrading your radio is that there is not enough room behind the head unit for things like suppressors, RCA leads etc etc. I had a real hard time fitting my MD player and all the wires for the amp into the ZS.
Me too, but what I ended up doing was threading the connector through the hole in the back pannel and then connecting it up there, it's a bit of a squeeze to get access back there, but there is far more room. With the bulky combined power and signal connector out of the way there is a lot more room for any other fittings back there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I 've heard that Blaupunkt are v.good. Is it true that Philips stuff is also coded in a similar manner?. I'm really after an MD unit, as I think MD is a great music format .

And changing the locking wheel nuts sounds like a good idea too...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Big Phil said:
Yes, I 've heard that Blaupunkt are v.good. Is it true that Philips stuff is also coded in a similar manner?. I'm really after an MD unit, as I think MD is a great music format
I'm a big MD fan too - the perfect format for in-car tunes, IMO. The only downside with the Blaupunkt offering is that they don't support LP mode. Mine will be upgraded as soon as they launch a deck that does. Here is the facelifted version of my deck.

S.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anthracite said:
I'm a big MD fan too - the perfect format for in-car tunes, IMO. The only downside with the Blaupunkt offering is that they don't support LP mode. Mine will be upgraded as soon as they launch a deck that does. Here is the facelifted version of my deck.

S.
I'm not too bothered by the Blaupunkt's lack of LP mode at the moment. (my domestic recorder doesn't do it either). But I would like to have LP just in case I decide to buy a new LP capable domestic recorder in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts