MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

If anyone can offer any views on this it would be appreciated. I am assuming I have a faulty water pump anyway as its starting to get a little gratey, but for a few weeks now the fan has been coming on if I get over 3000 revs or during a short burst of acceleration. Now that has come down to 2000 revs. I havent had the time to take it to a garage to look at and now we are at xmas I will have to wait until the new year.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is wrong? Should I assume a faulty water pump is the reason here or is that a red herring and there could be two problems here, i.e. sensor perhaps?

cheers for any help in advance

Martin_H

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
How is the coolant level, doesnt need topping up???

Heater blowing hot?

Whats the temperature gauge doing??

:wave:

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
The thermostat stuck closed would cause that, if you still get good heating then the pump must be working, a stuck thermostat will mean the radiator stays cold (the entry may warm up a bit).

If you have a scangauge, check the coolant temperature, the thermostat should open at 88 and the fan operates at 105.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The heating is fine, always warm/hot, the temp gauge reads normal. The coolant level needs topping up occasionally but then its always been like that since the HG was changed.

I will change the thermostat as the first point of call.

thanks to all

Martin

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
The heating is fine, always warm/hot, the temp gauge reads normal. The coolant level needs topping up occasionally but then its always been like that since the HG was changed.

I will change the thermostat as the first point of call.

thanks to all

Martin
It is possible that the radiator is blocked with gunk from the HGF but if the coolant is reasonably clean then I reckon its the thermostat. They normally get stuck open though and then you get very poor heating.

If you have a scangauge or similar then the temperature should increase steadily until 88 when the thermostat opens and then sit there for ages before starting to rise again to 105 when the fan comes on. It is very hard but just possible to to see this on the temperature gauge - it doesn't move till around 66 and then almost stops moving from 80 to 100, easier to feel the temperature of the radiator - if it is still cold at the exit when the temp. gauge needle has gone above normal (reached half way) then the thermostat is stuck closed.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
......It is very hard but just possible to to see this on the temperature gauge - it doesn't move till around 66 and then almost stops moving from 80 to 100, easier to feel the temperature of the radiator.....
Agreed, I have my scanguage set on water temp and see this when I watch it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is possible that the radiator is blocked with gunk from the HGF but if the coolant is reasonably clean then I reckon its the thermostat. They normally get stuck open though and then you get very poor heating.

If you have a scangauge or similar then the temperature should increase steadily until 88 when the thermostat opens and then sit there for ages before starting to rise again to 105 when the fan comes on. It is very hard but just possible to to see this on the temperature gauge - it doesn't move till around 66 and then almost stops moving from 80 to 100, easier to feel the temperature of the radiator - if it is still cold at the exit when the temp. gauge needle has gone above normal (reached half way) then the thermostat is stuck closed.
There wont be any gunk, Im sure. It was done a while ago, professionally. I dont have a scangauge or anything like that. Im wondering if its a sensor. it came on today quite early, i was stuck in a traffic jam. The temp gauge was in its usual normal position and didnt rise.

I may replace the sensor and thermostat and go from there.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
There wont be any gunk, Im sure. It was done a while ago, professionally. I dont have a scangauge or anything like that. Im wondering if its a sensor. it came on today quite early, i was stuck in a traffic jam. The temp gauge was in its usual normal position and didnt rise.

I may replace the sensor and thermostat and go from there.
If the temp gauge didn't move at all and the radiator is warming up then yes, it is probably the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, when my fan comes on the temp gauge needle is just above centre, it's not moved much but definitely moved from just below to just above centre.

Make sure you get the right sensor - not the one for the temp. gauge. And before you get a new one, check that the wires are connected properly and reasonably clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts