MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya chaps,

First of all, sorry for not being very active since I first joined –I’ve been rebuilding a Zetec engine and I was in my final year at Uni so have been megabusy ever since. Even though I haven’t really been posting, I’m always on here when I get a spare minute just reading – and my priorities still lie with MG :D

Basically, I’ve returned to Uni for another year but have decided to commute on a daily basis – which is a 44 mile round trip with an average speed of ~55 MPH. At the minute this journey is being done in the trusty ZR 105 and to be quite honest the MPG it’s returning isn’t brilliant for a 1.4 (which has only 40k on the clock and has been regularly serviced!)
I’m seriously considering getting rid of it and acquiring a nice ZS 180 MK2. I know this might sound a bit daft, but is this just a stupid idea using one of these motors as a commuter? I’m more than happy to pay an extra coupla quid a day in fuel to be driving my dream car!

One of the main things that’s worrying me is the massive drop in price of the ZS 180s recently. Is there something I’ve missed (regarding tax etc)? Or is it just fuel going through the roof?

Sorry if this has been talked about before, I’ve searched the forums but it wasn’t very fruitful.
Thanks in advance (as always),

Oggy

·
Registered
600 Posts
i think just the general economy is the problem people loosing jobs etc... alot of people tend to need money asap so they want quick sales on them and alot of us take advantage of it and people make massive losses on the cars.

but reality of it is people pay what they want to pay regardless of what price its meant to be.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Have you checked how much insurance you would be paying, plus a bit more road tax, plus heavier mpg.

Thats why I have a Derv!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys. I've checked the insurance and it jumps up by £200 on my ZR 105 (to about £700 for a 23 YO). As for the DERV option, a nice mk2 seems to be a good £1200 more than the 180s and whilst it would be a better option in the long run, I think I'd prefer to drip feed that money (as it comes) in terms of spending extra in fuel and tax for a year until I can afford a daily driver as-well-as. I guess I'm just shocked as to what you get for your money with a ZS. ZR 160 MK2s seem to be a similar price, but the ZS is winning for me ATM.

Am I right in thinking pre-2006 still come under the lower tax band?

·
Registered
608 Posts
For the time being, aye.

I guess its mostly the fuel consumption you'll be struggling with, the 180 flies through a tank of petrol, I get roughly 27mpg from combined driving, so Id expect around 1.5 - 2 gallons of petrol a day for a 44 mile round trip, and at ~1.34 a litre that works out at about £6 a gallon, so perhaps a fiver each way? It soon adds up, at any rate.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
There are a few MGR cars that are later than pre-2006, it is not the build date that counts.

The ZS180 does throw away 1/4 of the fuel when compared to a ZS120, your maths is about right.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
try unplug you lamda sensor on your zr see if the mpg goes up, if it does you need a new sensor, this wil bring the light on btw

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I think the main reasons for the crazy prices for ZS180s are the mad price of fuel and the nuts cost of insurance that has doubled in the last year.

I don't think there are any plans to change the tax brackets, it was originally a labour goverment that wanted to tax the ZS180 off the road but tory intervention (it started with me writing to my MP!) that gave us the pre-2006 system we now have.

Personally I'd rather commute in my ZS over my wifes ZR160 any day. I get about 240 miles to the tank.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
You'd be outta pocket for sure. I run a Nissan Note with up to 70mpg and am fortunate enough to crank up the 180 now and then but often take her off the road for the winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
try unplug you lamda sensor on your zr see if the mpg goes up, if it does you need a new sensor, this wil bring the light on btw
Cheers for that I'll give that a whirl tonight hopefully.

Personally I'd rather commute in my ZS over my wifes ZR160 any day. I get about 240 miles to the tank.
Is that mainly urban driving? If my calculations are right:

55 litre tank / ~4.54 = 12.1 gallons (~£72.60 a tank at £1.32/litre)

240 miles / 12.1 gallons = ~20 MPG

I was hoping for a bit more than this on my commute (which is mainly extra-urban) but I guess I'll have to be prepared to expect this with town driving. I suppose this is the price you pay for having that V6 under the bonnet.

I've seriously considered going for the ZR 160, but after spending a bit of time on placement in a mortuary, I've adopted the 'you-only-live-once' hypothesis and I'm thinking "b*lls to it, lets get the 180..."

Oggy

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have 180 mk2 for a year (2/2006 first registration) - fuel consumtion is 10-11L/100km city/highway driving. Insurance here is cheap 180euros/year. Fuel 95 octan -1,36e/1L. So paying extra bit here for exclusivity (my car is only one in country) but really love that sound and doing thinks on it alone with rave and this forum.

·
MG ZS 180 MGB GT V8
159 Posts
I usually get 300 miles from a full tank, driven as a mixture of dual carriageway and town, with some hard right foot when I get fed up being sensible. Cruising I've had 340 from a tank, so it's possible you may get near to 30 mpg if you're careful and keep the speed down to say 55 - may be hard to do in a 180 though !!

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
I usually get around 260-280 miles to a tank in mine going to work and back, i recently moved home, and while it is a little further away from work, it is around 5 mins to get onto a dual carrigeway and then its like that for the rest of the journey, 2 weeks back i decieded to try and limit myself and go for another ecomomy run, and i managed 319 miles to the tank.

By limiting myself i mean keep the revs under 3000rpm.

Not too bad for a commute, but i had very little stop/start involved with that, i did used to get snarled up in traffic on the way home though.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
30mpg should be possible! I have a fairly straight forward commute though so I count myself lucky. Previous commute was 12 miles each way with plenty of opportunity to boot it and I got 28mpg.

As for keeping under 3K, I think throttle has much more significance. I got 38mpg in france at 3500 rpm doing 80* by going easy on the throttle. I'm sure foot flat at all times up to 3K would not be good for consumption, but generally you do both when driving conservatively anyway.

If you are very disciplined I reckon you could see 34 to the gallon at 55mph, Most of us didn't buy a v6 to do that, but if you are going to do it anyway I find it much more pleasant with the soundtrack and overtaking potential ;)

Another way to look at it: buy a new car that will be cheap to run and cost a few grand, or buy a cheap ZS and spend the difference on petrol, insurance etc.

130kmh, I think it's 3500, definitely over 3.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Yeah! Gotta drive at cruising speed of about 56mph on a run nowadays to save on the gas. Still working out my latest figures for mixed driving. At the moment I've done about 380 miles to £100 worth. Tax up on Wednesday so she's off to bo bo's for a few months.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cheers guys. I've checked the insurance and it jumps up by £200 on my ZR 105 (to about £700 for a 23 YO). As for the DERV option, a nice mk2 seems to be a good £1200 more than the 180s and whilst it would be a better option in the long run, I think I'd prefer to drip feed that money (as it comes) in terms of spending extra in fuel and tax for a year until I can afford a daily driver as-well-as. I guess I'm just shocked as to what you get for your money with a ZS. ZR 160 MK2s seem to be a similar price, but the ZS is winning for me ATM.

It does mate just bought a 55 plate which is still £240 a yr rather than the £400 plus for a march 06 models.
=)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts