MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all another newbie here !
i got myself a zs 180 mk1 on a 2002 about 4 months ago ,
its been a great car and all i have had to do so far is a cv joint and rear wheel bearing which are both easy jobs as most know ,

however my problem is the clutch :confused:
i have read all the post on the upgrade kit for the hydrolics but i dont think thats my problem ? a few mate i have spoke to who are in the motor trade have said my problem is the pressure plate but im just after some MG peoples thoughts !!!
clutch point is very very low of what there is of it
from cold it drives fine for few miles then it becomes a complete t### to get into gear ,
i really have to ram the gearstick very hard to get it into first when stopped , and then when going through the gears its hard to select all the way through to fifth , and when i need to select reverse thats another story !!!
with clutch all the way to the floor the car creeps forward unless i keep the brake on as if its not engaging fully ,

when engine is off it selects all gears lovely and very smooth ,

please can someone help me source the fault !!!!

clutch itself or hydrolics ? many thanks

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
hey all another newbie here !
i got myself a zs 180 mk1 on a 2002 about 4 months ago ,
its been a great car and all i have had to do so far is a cv joint and rear wheel bearing which are both easy jobs as most know ,

however my problem is the clutch :confused:
i have read all the post on the upgrade kit for the hydrolics but i dont think thats my problem ? a few mate i have spoke to who are in the motor trade have said my problem is the pressure plate but im just after some MG peoples thoughts !!!
clutch point is very very low of what there is of it
from cold it drives fine for few miles then it becomes a complete t### to get into gear ,
i really have to ram the gearstick very hard to get it into first when stopped , and then when going through the gears its hard to select all the way through to fifth , and when i need to select reverse thats another story !!!
with clutch all the way to the floor the car creeps forward unless i keep the brake on as if its not engaging fully ,

when engine is off it selects all gears lovely and very smooth ,

please can someone help me source the fault !!!!

clutch itself or hydrolics ? many thanks
Thats the hydraulics, its got a low bitting point as the bracket is flexing and/or there is air in the system so the full pedal travel is not transfering to the clutch arm/pressure plate, it gets worse as the car gets warm as the fluid warms up.

I find its very dangerous to listen to mates who are in the trade, unfortunatly they are in the trade of making money out of car repairs not doing them properly or taking the time to find the cheapest and most effective way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for the response , so my best bet is look at the arm prior to driving and then once its warmed up get the mrs to press the peddle few times and see what the difference is and how much more the bracket moves , by trade im a steel fabricator so i guess the should be some way i can fix a steady bar to the bracket ? , once again thanks for reply

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
cheers for the response , so my best bet is look at the arm prior to driving and then once its warmed up get the mrs to press the peddle few times and see what the difference is and how much more the bracket moves , by trade im a steel fabricator so i guess the should be some way i can fix a steady bar to the bracket ? , once again thanks for reply
Save yourself the effort and search the sheddist clutch kit, junk that Rover plastic rubbish for Honda metal items.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i had a little look at my bracket today and found a big problem !!!! the plastic kit just fell off in my hand with many snapped parts !!! so now im carless , :( , not good at all , i have pm'd the sheddist just waiting on a reply now to see how quick i can get one ,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:inv:

many thanks to the sheddist for his fast postage :) ,

paid friday , he sent saturday and i recieved it monday !!!

fitted tues night and what a difference the kit has made !!

the car is so enjoyable to drive compared to ramming into gear it just glides in ,,,

many thanks sheddist

1 - 7 of 7 Posts