MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i have been trying to give my new zs 180 mk2 the tlc it needs and the brakes seam pretty crap to be honest.
i have stripped down the front brakes and the calipers seam to be fine and not sized up. it has green stuff pads on the front and standard discs.
the standard discs are shot and need replacing, the green stuff pads have plenty of meat left on them.
i am going to put some decent grooved discs on the front but i am unsure if i should stick with the green stuff pads or put something like yellow stuff pads in or maybe get some mintex 1144 or alike in there?
any reason why the brakes might feel so crap as well?

on the rear it all standard so i was going to upgrade the rear with the same as what i put in the front in in a couple of months as there ok for now.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
any reason why the brakes might feel so crap as well?
From what I have read OEM standard fit are the best option. My original pads and discs from the factory did approx 63k miles, fitted original pads all round after that and some standard discs. . .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so they last quite well but do they perform well? also where would i get some from that where proper mg pads and not mintex coppies?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Summit may stock them or will get them in from XPart for you, or go to SMC Slough or Trident at Ottershaw - there are plenty of XPart agents around, sourcing OEM parts really is not a problem despite what some people seem to think... 2 minutes googling will find you the XPart site and the Dealer locator page...

·
Registered
343 Posts
OEM pads, perfect for the road and excellent on track. Much better than EBC and not as hard as 1144s...

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
ok so they last quite well but do they perform well? also where would i get some from that where proper mg pads and not mintex coppies?
I've no complaints from mine . . . one thing, from a ex Rover dealer they won't be cheap but you do get all the correct anti squeal shims . . . brakes and tyres, two things it's not worth economising with IMO .

·
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....
1,454 Posts
Black Diamond discs and Black Diamond Predator pads from Motobuild are very good - I've just done a track day on them @ Combe and they are excellent. Not expensive either.

·
1,454 Posts
I would ring him. The site is pretty old and crappy. I'm not sure he even advertises the 180 ones on there. He does sell them though!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have seen them on his website.
i would say they are the same cost as the mintex 1144's and the standard pads and yellow stuff and a touch cheeper.
its very hard to know what to get as it have had 3 different recommendations on pads.
do padgid do pads for the zs 180?
also what should i go for on the rears?

·
1,454 Posts
Brakes are the same as cars - everyone has an opinion and their opinion is always right!

I think these ones are worth it but its up to you to decide. The standard ones are also great. EBC seem to come across pretty badly if you look overall at any forum. But again, some people swear by them.

All to do with what kind of feel you like from the pedal, what the wear levels are like, how they look, the price, the size, how you drive.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gusty i think your 100% right. i didn't mind red stuff but these green stuff pads are pants. i want more great bite as i doubt il get most brakes to fade on the road.

·
1,454 Posts
Thanks Man - don't call me Gusty though or it might stick as my nik name!!

:err:

·
1,454 Posts
Well I hammered them at Combe and I can't see when looking at them any wear?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats not to bad then.
how much is a whole set front and back for that?
do you think they are better than the mintex 1144's
how much is standard stuff normally?

·
1,454 Posts
I only bought front ones mate. The standards for the back are fine.

I haven't used Mintex for this car but have on other MG's and they have been fine as well.

·
Life is just a like a bowl of Cherries!
1,202 Posts
The reason why your brakes may feel crap is that they might need the fluid changed or bled, IIRC the brake fluid is supposed to get changed every 2 years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts