MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My major service is due in March next year and have started doing a little research into what I need to get the job done.

I already have someone in mind to do the job, I want to provide the parts myself rather than relying on brands I know nothing about. I know about the obvious stuff, belts, I have also read that the tensioner/idler pulleys should be changed . . . I have found a kit with these parts, so that's fine.

I have also read of people changing the water pump at the same time . . . is this just because while the covers are off it's convenient to do so ?

I have also read today that the cam pulley bolts and camshaft seals should be replaced for it to be considered a complete service ? can anyone confirm this please ?

If this is the case can anyone confirm that this is what I need? (I am aware that the bolts are the same part no. ;) )

2 x LYP101080 pulley to camshaft front

4 x LYP101080 pulley to camshaft rear

2 x LUC100290SLP Front Camshaft Oil Seal - Black - Genuine MG

4 x LUC100220 Rear Camshaft Oil Seal - Red - Genuine MG Rover​

Anything else I haven't thought of ?

One other thing . . . anyone know where I can get the special alignment tools I have read about ? I drew a blank on ebay . . .

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah, just doing some more reading . . . maybe it isn't the camshaft seals I need but the plenum seals ? Well, 3 x O rings and 3 x seals . . . ?

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One other thing . . . anyone know where I can get the special alignment tools I have read about ? I drew a blank on ebay . . .
Found this, search Google for Laser 4577

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Avoid the Laser tooling......not very good quality.

Plenum seals? I've got them here as spares but never replaced them.

Water pump - you'd be crazy to do the job and not replace it, as while it is apart it is 20 mins work, max.

Reactions: RaptorUK

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Water pump - you'd be crazy to do the job and not replace it, as while it is apart it is 20 mins work, max.
OK, I thought that was the reason, just want to make sure.

Thanks for the link.

Did I get it right about the camshaft seals ? I'm sure I saw a post by you from maybe last year where you said that the seals and bolts needed replacing at the same time ?

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
No, no need to replace camshaft seals but you'll need two camshaft blanking caps LUC100150 IIRC

Bit of a job to fit them but you don't want them falling out (as happens) coat them with loctite both eases them into the housings and keeps them there.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, no need to replace camshaft seals but you'll need two camshaft blanking caps LUC100150 IIRC

Bit of a job to fit them but you don't want them falling out (as happens) coat them with loctite both eases them into the housings and keeps them there.
Ah the ones that cover the exhaust camshaft at the front end . . .

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LUC100150

thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I got a unipart full belt and tensioner kit off ebay. Same firm did fai pump for £45 delivered. Got ancilliary belt for £12 locally. Lates did mine and supplied bolts,seals,anti freeze and oil and filter. Back on the road in 4.5 hrs. Oh! I also changed to a kaiser metal thermostat at the same time.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Unipart Belts and FAI pumps are of great quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts