MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has become apparant that some ZR's are leaking oil from the cylinder head. It is more an oil vapour than outright leak. It occurs on the front of the engine about second cylinder from the left(looking from the front of the car) - behind the alternator. From mgcars.org it appears that it is Nov/Oct cars which are affected - so far. People please check your cars as I am trying to find out the scale of the problem.
Tim Ellingham
[email protected]

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
I spotted that thread too. Seems there's a handful affected over on that BBS. I had a thorough search of my ZR at weekend (2000 miles, 7 weeks old) but could not see anything as yet. But will keep you posted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lads

Bought my car about that time. To date had to use 2 litres of oil (5000 miles). Can you be more specific about the problem ie what to look for. Are mgrover aware of this?

any info would be greatly recieved

Kev

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mateyboy,
I can send you a picture of my cylinder head - I need your e-mail address. When I went to the mg dealer yeaterday he said there was no official word from MGR.
Tim.

·
Registered
84 Posts
All clear on mine at 1200 miles....

G

·
i've got the stain on my 160, the dealer says its common to the vvc and is the rocker carrier cover which is leaking. He wants it for 2 days to re-seal:mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its back.

Car returned from having the cam carrier re-sealed yesterday - looks good, now time will tell.
Tim.

G

·
Had mine done yesterday as well, went in for rattles sorting as well but there's no improvement - scratches on front bumper where grease monkeys rubbed against it:mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi.. Does anyone with a ZR160 have a tapping/rattling noise in their engine which gets louder after driving? It makes the car sound like a quiet diesel which is very irritating. It can also be heard inside the car when the stereo is off.

I was wondering if what the dealer said was correct - the VVC engine sound is like that because of the complex cam design. I think they want to avoid really having a look for me.

I also have a problem with the oil... i lost 4-5 litres after 4700 miles. I bought my MG at the end of Sept 2001.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ZR oil leak

The tapping noise you mention sounds ominously like the same 'death rattle' I had on an MGF some years ago caused by a partial failure of the VVC mechanism. I thought that MGR had fixed this fault a long time ago. Suggest you get your dealer service manager to have a listen.
On the subject of oil consumption, the amount you appear to be losing sounds high. If its not leaking , and with that amount it ought to be visible, then it must be ending up getting burnt and going out through the exhaust leaving visible black deposits on the tailpipe.
Have had 3 VVC engined cars over the years with no evidence of excessive oil consumption and always used semi-synthetic in all of them.
I will be interested to know how you get on with your dealer and the rattle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you for your advice. I think i need another visit down to the rover dealer. They did say that a new car loses a lot of oil - up to 1 litre per 1000 miles. There are no signs of oil leaks and blue smoke from the exhaust.

i'll keep you posted :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Heard stories about ZR's drinking a drop or two of oil, so i thought that i better check mine around the 2K mark.

Seems fine, but have not driven it that hard yet so am bracing myself to serious guzzling.

Just incase though, whats the best oil to use the ZR??

And does any one think that the dipstick is badly designed and difficult to get an accurate read from??

Replies on a postcard to: FREE POST, What dipstock designed this dipstick?

·
Registered
751 Posts
ellingtj said:
It has become apparant that some ZR's are leaking oil from the cylinder head. It is more an oil vapour than outright leak. It occurs on the front of the engine about second cylinder from the left(looking from the front of the car) - behind the alternator. From mgcars.org it appears that it is Nov/Oct cars which are affected - so far. People please check your cars as I am trying to find out the scale of the problem.
Tim Ellingham
[email protected]
My car went back to the garage at 7,000 with little or no oil left !
One minute there was loads and the next,,,,,,,,,,gone !

The mechanics told me that MG had not yet found the correct oil for the car (ZR 160) and were experimenting with different oils.
Very disturbing. They suggested that I check my oil once a week in future. There were no leaks but the whole thing was very worrying !
Yours (now)
Oil checking paranoid RED.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did a 'run-in' oil change on mine at 1500 miles and used Triple R synthetic - of Lotus sport fame - when I last looked at about 4300 there was no noticable drop in level. Mobil 1 is the best you can get however.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've found that the best oil you can use is Duckhams 10w 40w. My dad has used this on all six of his cars and each one has done over 100,000 miles without any engine problems whatsoever. Oil loss, never heard of it!!!

He has currently got a 98 MGF which has done 54000 miles. It has used hardly any oil at all, even when he drives it hard. When he buys a brand new car, he runs them in for about 2000 miles before gradually starting to open them up. Thats how this car has been and no oil problems. Never had to top the oil up between service intervalls. If you thrash it from new, thats when you get problems! Not saying that you are all nutters!!! but history speaks for itself. Try the oil then let me know the outcome of useage!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Duckhams do make good oil but what you speak of sounds very much like mineral oil which has been proven (see Lubrication section in the book - modern engine tuning by A. Graham Bell) to be inferior to fully synthetic. Some use mineral oil on old/high mileage cars because it is usually quite thick and not so prone to seeping through gaskets etc. Fully synthetic has noticably better anti friction properties and has been proved to mildly improve fuel consumption and output - personally I won't put anything else in my engine. Used to use Castrol RS almost as good as Mobil 1.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
I read somewhere that you shouldn't put fully synth in a car for the first few thousand miles, because it means pistons etc don't bed in properly...

Just what I've heard, not necessarily fact, but I have heard it from several people in several different place....

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've been using this Duckhams since brand new, and my engine isn't any different. I still get great mpg and fantastic accelatration. I'm only going on what i have heard from my dad, but various people too. It's worked for him for years and it's been great for me up til now!!! It's what i'd use anyway. When you get a semi-synthetic oil, it tends to be slightly thinner, so when the enigne is at optimum temp. it's really thin and while you might get better fuel economy and perf, your not quite getting the proper amount of lubrication, in my car anyway. Nothing against Mobil 1 or Cast. but i think you get better protection from Duckhams over a longer period.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts