MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My race car should rev to 7800rpm which is the max power, but when it gets to 7000rpm it feels like it is hitting a wall. It will still get to 7800rpm but struggles.
Any idea what the problem is ?

It has 2 fuel pumpes, so could it be the ECU.

The engines life before it was put into the ZR was a MGF Cup car were it revved to 8000rpm freely.

·
Registered
921 Posts
did you use the ECU from the cup car if not that will will be your problem as standard ecu's i am sure are capped at 6800-7000

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It was changed to a MEMS 3 ZR 190 Trophy ECU.
What is a ZR 190 Trophy? The top spec road ZR's have a hard cut rev limit at 7200 for the 160's and lower for the 120's. I would say its a rev limit in the ECU you need to find the full specs of whatever ECU you have but I have not heard of a 190 trophy, the only 190 cars were the VHPD's running throttle bodies but none of these were mems 3 as they went from mems 2j to OMEX or similar ECU.

·
Registered
921 Posts
It was changed to a MEMS 3 ZR 190 Trophy ECU.
so its got the ECU from when you bought the car from the Raine brothers? if it has why not send them an email i was talking to them at the last MG meeting at Oulton Park and seem a very approchable pair

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so its got the ECU from when you bought the car from the Raine brothers? if it has why not send them an email i was talking to them at the last MG meeting at Oulton Park and seem a very approchable pair
Already spoke to Tony Raine, he didn't have this problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is a ZR 190 Trophy? The top spec road ZR's have a hard cut rev limit at 7200 for the 160's and lower for the 120's. I would say its a rev limit in the ECU you need to find the full specs of whatever ECU you have but I have not heard of a 190 trophy, the only 190 cars were the VHPD's running throttle bodies but none of these were mems 3 as they went from mems 2j to OMEX or similar ECU.
All ZR 190 race cars run mems 3 as do a couple of later built TF race cars....
The limiter is set to 7800 rpm...

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I know that this may sound a bit basic, but it has happened to a couple of the MG Trophy cars in the past.

Is the throttle openning fully. I have know of more than one that just needed a simple readjustment of the cable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
another basic one -air filter -have you tried it with it disconnected?

also what fuel you running on down under?
if its lower octane it won't rev so well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts