MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done nearly 10,000 miles in my 160 now, and I have a few niggly probs that are annoying me.
1.The handbrake when down does not seem to sit very well, I mean its all loose not great build quality.
2.The tyres p-zeros they do not grip very well inany kind of damp conditions I would advise anyone to change these tyres if supplied with new car.
3.The torque steer seems quite severe when I am pushing hard.
4.I have had a few stone chips on the front spoilers and the quality of the paint work or lack of coats is a bit disheartening. Which it is due for its1st service in may and iwill be bringing this up I will post the outcome.

I still love this car and have even touched 140mph on the A2/M2, I drive very aggresively and as of yet not a single breakdown or problem.The problems I have highlighted are minor and it would not have stopped me buying this car. I just would like to give it more power but then where would my warranty be!!!!

G

·
ZR Nutter

I can't comment on any of the above - except to say that new paints do seem to chip very easily these days. What's the base coat like, does it look unsightly with a different colour showing through?

BTW - welcome to another 160 owner - you seem to be in the majority. What colour is yours?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi XPower

I have the trophy blue 160, and under the stone chips its like a pale grey colour I presume the primer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just given my 160 a thorough wash & wax and what a fantastic day for a bit of bonding with your car :)

It's just completed 1,300 miles and the spoiler already has a number of small stone chips. The chips are right through to a white base coat and as the car is Anthracite they are quite visible.

Very thin paint indeed. Not good. :(

G

·
I had a Jap - blue car and the paint was atrocious, it chipped quite badly. I think the paint used by all manufacturers is not as durable as it used to be. It's the PC world we live in! :D Damn shame though.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Jerry's quite correct in saying that it is a measure of the "P C" world we live in that paint has been stripped of many components which used to aid logevity, and the new generation do not take kindly to thicker coatings. MGR use the same paint supplier as all the big Euorpean groups - International Paints- and the process in the Longbridge paintshop is amongst the most advanced in the world, completley modernised in the *** era. In fact, it paints to their standard!
If anyone has doubts, then I suggest a trip to the local supermarket. Inspect all the newer cars, even the hardly-driven Yaris and the like, and be prepared for a shock.

G

·
J-Bo

That's what I did. Hopefully most of the chips are on the bumper area. I used to get v.upset about it - but as Dave, mentions it's a fact of life and don't worry. Just keep wringing its neck! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
.took my trophy blue 160 back to the dealers today , the two front bumper inserts are a lot lighter in colour to the rest of the car. Dealer sais that Rover are aware of this problem but 'thats the way it is'. Wasn't happyt, but hey eventually ordered two new inserts.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I'm up to 3000 on mine and have some heavy stone ships on the bonnet. Car failed to start this morning - relax everyone - I hadn't closed the boot properly since last Thursday interior light left on, called Quicks of Leamington who called the AA who started it ok. My car and later cars in general I think all come with Michelin Sport tyres and not Pzero's. I used to have Pzero's on my old 205 1.9 - they were crap in the wet (asymetricos all round) replaced them with 4 GY Eagle F1s - awesome esp. in the wet. My Michelins seem just as good in the wet.
Tim.

·
Registered
214 Posts
problems!

problems? i had loads wrong with my 120+ when i first got it. id had it less than 12 hours when i noticed the following ~
1. passenger wing dented and out of line with door
2. front bumper out of line with drivers side wing
3. 'fallout' in paint work. had to be moppt out.
4. roof lining comming away from interior light.
5. rub strips coming away from passenger door
6. sunroof not closing properly
7. passenger front doorhandle very stiff to open

i had all thease things repaired only to have the airbag warning light to come on on the way home! considering its a brand new motor with ten miles on the clock i wasnt very happy! ive owned the car for 2weeks now and have it in my posession for 6 days, and now its got to go back again. at least i get to thrash the **** out of their loan car! he he!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds like you have been quite unfortunate with your 120! Despite the minor faults you can still take comfort in the ZR's performance capabilities.

In the mean time enjoy thrashing the courtesy car about, hope they gave you a good one.

Happy times

1 - 15 of 15 Posts