MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

You think you had problems..........

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Ex-Member_A 
#1 ·
:confused: funny a fast tapping noise at tickover, seems to get quicker as the engine speed rises

:confused: hmm it dissapears once the engine is warm, best pop in to MG dealer to get it checked.

:eek: after 9000 miles NO OIL, dipstick is dry!!!

:confused: MG not sure why, fill it with the finest slippery stuff and send me on my way

:eek: 1000 miles later oil level low again, MG recommend oil consumption test. (after filling the car with another 3/4 of a litre of slippy juice)

:eek: results of a oil consumption test come back 400 miles half a litre of oil required, results passed to MG Central Technical Dept

:eek: Mr Tampkins, please find enclosed one BRAND NEW ENGINE 11800 miles complete power unit replaced. GO CHECK YOUR OIL!!

on a plus side, the new one is awesome, beter fuel consumption, quicker etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oil?

Hello Mate,

As you may have read on other threads, I've had the same problems with my car? The first car I had blew up after 4,000 miles, just less than a months driving. There was not a single drop of oil in the whole engine.

I wouldn't accept a replacement engine, I demanded that MG gave me a new car, after two months of constant telephone conversations, they did. It is your right in law, that you demand replacement goods under the consumer act 1979, if the goods are not deemed fit for their intended purpose.

The problem with replacement engines is that the car has been seriously de-valued, it doesn't matter what excuses you make at the point of selling it. Some smart arse will use the fact that its had a replacement engine as a bartering point. I'd at lease ask for three years free servicing.

#3 · (Edited)
Oil

I know I might be stating the obvious guys but arn't you supposed to check your oil like erm, regular as per the drivers handbook.

Once a week would be a thought. R.T.F.M. as they say especially with a new motor. To be honest I think your lucky to get the engines changed if they have been allowed to run dry ?

Tell me to p155 off if I am talking rubbish here, but I have had a few beers at this time of day you knoooooooooooooowww!!

Mike

#4 ·
Oil?

When you buy a new car, and I buy a new car every year. You don't normally expect to find zero oil in the engine after a months use. I have had new ***'s, Saab's, Honda's etc as company cars and none of these has consumed any oil.

Lets not forget there is at lease 5 litres of oil sitting in your cars sump from new. If a car burns the whole contents of the engines oil within a month, I'd say there is serious design fault in the engine. This is the 21st century? other car manufactures vehicles don't do it so why should MG try to say its normal? Modern engines should not burn that amount of oil, even if you check it on a weekly basis the mear fact that it is being burn is causing major damage to your car.

MG would have been better off producing more BHP from the engine.

#7 ·
James,

Yes, there is a low oil light. Unfortunately, as with every other car anywhere, by the time the low oil light comes on, you've already done the damage to your engine...

Personally, I'd much rather rely on my eyes with checking the oil levels than wait for the engine light to come on..... (What if the bulb in the oil light had gone????)

#8 ·
oil

It would appear that the low oil lights do not work, so do not rely on them.

Having had all of my moans about oil, my new engine is awesome faster than the last (145mph indicated) oil consumption is not a problem, and the grip from my new p-zeros (11800 mailes off the first set) is truely incredible.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#9 ·
I've been in a couple of Renaults which have either an oil level gauge or an oil level check when you turn the ignition on. If you need to check your oil level every week, why don't more manufacturers put in the these things to make it easy to check every time you start the car?

S.

#10 ·
Steve,

Because the technology is expensive, and I for one wouldn't assume it was right, and would still check the oil manually anyway..

Agreed though, my car has all sorts of technology in it, and will even tell me when a bulb goes, which bulb has gone. Doesn't seem like it would be too much more expensive to include an "ignition on" oil level gauge.. You'd have to bear in mind that this wouldn't always be accurate though - if the engine was still warm from driving previously for instance, the reading would be completely inaccurate.

PS, I've been reading about renaults new Laguna that owners have been having all kinds of electrical troubles with all the fancy gizmos on them... Nice idea, shame about the implementation....

#11 ·
Laguna

agreed about the laguna, on a a business trip I hired one and after a particularly "trouser filling" moment on a roundabout with a 7.5 ton lorry, I was concerned to find the car telling me about a front flat tyre.

I pulled over and found nothing wrong with it. drove extremely slowly back to the airport (nearly missing my flight) and when I spoke to the guy behind the desk at National Car Rental he replied "oh yeah it does that. just turn the ignition off and start thr car again."

This fix seems spookily similar to the response users get when reporting PC errors to my IT staff. "just reboot the machine it will be fine" Is this yet another Microsoft attempt to take over the world!!! :p :p :p

#12 ·
The "Low Oil Light" you are talking about on a ZS is not a low oil light.

It is an oil pressure light, the sensor of which is located in the oil filter housing.

True, if your oil was very low the light would come on as there would be low oil pressure due to there being no oil to pump. However, by this time the engine would be knackered as at the instant the light appeared there would be nothing to pump meaning a lot of the engine was running "dry".

Do not think this light is to warn you of low levels, it is there to let you know if oil pressure drops below a certain value in the event of an oil pump problem, etc.

Matt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.