MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is some kind of spam/phishing email ?

Dear Manager:

We are a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in Anhui, China. On February,29th,2012, We received DATON Company's application that they are registering the name "xpowerforums" as their Internet Trademark and "xpowerforums.cn","xpowerforums.com.cn" ,"xpowerforums.asia"domain names etc.,It is China and ASIA domain names.But after auditing we found the brand name been used by your company. As the domain name registrar in China, it is our duty to notice you, so I am sending you this Email to check.According to the principle in China,your company is the owner of the trademark,In our auditing time we can keep the domain names safe for you firstly, but our audit period is limited, if you object the third party application these domain names and need to protect the brand in china and Asia by yourself, please let the responsible officer contact us as soon as possible. Thank you!

Kind regards

Angela Zhang

Anhui Office (Head Office)
Registration Department Manager
Room 1008 Shenhui Building
Haitian Road, Huli Anhui, China

Office: +86 0553 4994789
Fax: +86 0553 4994789
web: www.ygcompany.org

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Are you the admin contact for xpowerforums.com? Sounds like a registration company trying to drum up some business. I doubt very much anyone has tried to register xpowerforums under .cn ! And even if they have. So What? Are you going to register xpowerforums under every country extension in the world? Course not. So it's probably a legit email but just dishonest marketing trying to scare you into buying up a chinese domain name.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thing is, if you're not the associated with the domain xpowerforums.com other than being a user like me, how did they make the connection? Seems a bit misdirected considering they could just contact the admin directly.

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe picked my name at random from the forum perhaps, my email address that includes my name is probably on the forum somewhere too. I normally would bin something like this, I just wondered had they harvested anyone elses details.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think we'd be shocked if we knew how much info is floating around about us, who has access to it and what they do with it.

Some guy in america recently got a baby catalogue through the post from a local retailer addressed to his daughter. So he asks his daughter why she hadn't told him she was pregnant. She says she only found out the day before! Apparantly, some automated bot had pieced the daughter's surfing and shopping habits together (online and off) and made a predictive guess that she would soon be pregnant. So they sent her a new baby brochure before even SHE knew about it. Brave new world! It's scarey. And people say, why should I worry if governments and authorities have so much information about me? I haven't done anything wrong! Well, if they looked at the whole picture they might think again.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
I guess this is some kind of spam/phishing email ?

Dear Manager:

We are a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in Anhui, China. On February,29th,2012, We received DATON Company's application that they are registering the name "xpowerforums" as their Internet Trademark and "xpowerforums.cn","xpowerforums.com.cn" ,"xpowerforums.asia"domain names etc.,It is China and ASIA domain names.But after auditing we found the brand name been used by your company. As the domain name registrar in China, it is our duty to notice you, so I am sending you this Email to check.According to the principle in China,your company is the owner of the trademark,In our auditing time we can keep the domain names safe for you firstly, but our audit period is limited, if you object the third party application these domain names and need to protect the brand in china and Asia by yourself, please let the responsible officer contact us as soon as possible. Thank you!

Kind regards

Angela Zhang

Anhui Office (Head Office)
Registration Department Manager
Room 1008 Shenhui Building
Haitian Road, Huli Anhui, China

Office: +86 0553 4994789
Fax: +86 0553 4994789
web: www.ygcompany.org
Maybe you should talk to Gas Axe about this, as he is admin for xpf, or Steve Childs as it is technically his forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts