MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
X80 production cancelled?

Apparently, the X80 is no longer going into production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Instead, it's chassis, engine and powertrain etc. will be going into a one-model racing series (a-la MGF Trophey Cup). Apparently, MG feels the money developing the model would be best spent on the replacement small and medium sector vehicles (R25/ZR; R45/ZS).
If you ask me, the X80 was virtually ready! Why would they call off the car now? OK, they got critisism over the appearance of the car at it's debut in Frankfurt, but they lead us all to believe that they were going to make some adjustments to the exterior, and launch about a year later than originally planned. This only leaves the ZT385 and 260 using the V8. I thought the CBIH collaboration was going to allow for economies of scale, not shutting down a car's development entirely!

What are MGR up to? I totally can't understand why this decision has been made! Did MGR not think that the car was going to be the Porsche-beater that they claimed it would be? Is this decision going to have repercussions? Why did they bother marketing and hyping for the car, like on their web-site, and in the letter which they sent some of us less than a week ago?! And why bother with a one-make series if the car isn't going to be available to the puclic! They say they want to save money, yet they are going to continue spending it on an event which is likely to get very little publicity, and have no tie-in to a publicly-available product!

Since the CBIH collaboration deal, all we have seen so-far is the 75 being shipped off the China to be badged as "Brilliance" and not "Rover", and now this!

I'm not being sceptical, and I don't think I am having a rant or anything, but something's afoot!

Can anyone confirm or deny this news?!

I'm feeling a bit annoyed and deflated at the moment! We need some POSITIVE news from Rover, not more cut-backs and compromises!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It comes from the EVO website. . . . . So possibly, no, it can't 100% be confirmed, but then I've not known them to be ones to publish majorly wrong information.

I am yet to see the same information on any other sites, which raises a few questions, but my alarm bells are already ringing! It's not April the 1st still, is it?

Can you shed any more light on it?

G

·
NO comment!

NO, no light the rumour was flying around elsewhere. I won't comment until I can get anymore info. Until that time I hope EVO magazine are wrong! :(

Although what does it mean by a "One Make Series" using the drivetrain, I had heard this was always on the cards anyway. :D

Very confusing story. :confused: :confused:

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
There seems to some confusion over this at the moment.
Evo mag says that MGR have 'killed off' the project but Kevin Howe is quoted (the Times 3rd May) as saying that the model will almost certainly lead the companies re-entry into North America.
Other sources suggest a one make race series.

G

·
Like His Banter!

It's like his Banter Dave. But no, the story eminates form "EVO" magazine (that's wher he got it from). Time will tell.

However, the "One Make Series" means the car will be built. Which surely means sold to the public.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who's a Scouser?

And so what if I use another forum to collate a wider response to a proper enquiry? Is that a crime?

Thought not. :rolleyes:

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Steve, I think that Dave was refering to a certain inhabitant of Liverpool who is well known for critisising anything to do with MGR.

·
Registered
81 Posts
x80 cancellation

well this was predicted in the January edition of Motor Magazine in Australia when they reported that during testing the car had had an extremely serious accident (nobody killed or seriously injured though) during testing in December last year. The "in brief" hinted that there was a serious design flaw in the chassis making it unstable at speed. the quote was "don't be surprised if the whole project is quietly dropped".

It would seem to me that MGR soldiered on in a vain attempt to fix the problem but have in the end acknowledged that the Mangusta Chassis is a dud and that it's time to call an end to the cash drain. I'm left wondering what MGR got from their unknown purchase price of Qvale. Did you get ownership of the factory even?

If the chassis was a great as it was cracked up to be why was the whole kit and kaboodle up for sale?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The sale was probably because Qvale only sold a handful of the Mangustas that were shipped to America. Something like 250 were sent over and only about 50 were sold.

The factory is now closed over in Italy.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I would like to see the car enter production. But only if it is an exceptionally good car and worthy of it's asking price. Therefore in keeping with the ethos behind the original MG brand.

Cars which are financially accessible and provide good performance and essentially "Bang per Buck".

I understand MGR's concept and business sense behind this. They are trying to use this project to cast a "Halo" effect which should filter down the range.

For the market this vehicle is pitched at it must ooze quality as it would be up against some mightily strong "Top End" brands and badges and the "status" they afford the driver. e.g. Porsche, Mercedes, Jaguar etc, with their multi million pound budgets and expertise in making these cars.

You don't spend this amount of money and expect any problems or niggles, no matter how small they are. The last thing MGR need is any bad press relating to a car which is out of it's depths in it's intended market place. Therefore to get this vehicle right would be crucial and take a hell of a lot of money.

Also, in this class, it is also not just about how good dynamically the car is. It is about the name, the brand and the statement it makes for the average buyer.

I am not sure the X80 concept is what MG is about and whether the brand is strong enough to support the X80 in it's destined marketplace.

At the end of the day, all of us on here would probably be proud of it, but to the "Brand is Everything" potential punters in this area, there are 10 grand heavily bespoilered MG's driving around wearing the same "Name".

I would not be devistated of it never actually rolled down the line as potentially the money could be used to better ends elsewhere, generating more profit and cashflow. If the rumours are true it is a shame that MGR have spent some money on a dead duck, but sometimes it is better to cut your losses - (eh Mr Leeson :D ). It could potentially be very damaging for MGR to produce an expensive car that does not sell.

Matt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts