MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone any news on this project?

Reason for asking is that we've heard very little about it recently!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
MG X80 CANNED - Pistonhead Story

This is what Pistonheads.com have said about it:

Coupe now to be used in one make race series

MG's X80 Coupe isn't going to make it into production but is to be produced for a one make race series similar in set up to TVR's Tuscan Challenge. The 4.6 litre V8 powered coupes will be produced in time for next season leaving the V8 powered saloon to head up the MG range.

MG don't think that they can justify the time or expense to develop the coupe for the road whilst keeping other projects on schedule.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
X80 postponed - not cancelled!

Yep

Just bought "EVO" magazine. It would LOOK like "Forum" scare mongering about cancellation!

EVO mentions that the "one-make" series, which has always been on the cards is definite! They also mention that the cars should be ready for the teams in October.

Regarding full production, it talks of "indefinitely postponed" which isn't cancelled in my book! :D

Ed: Reason - weak American market at the moment!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I'm Alive

"X Admin"

I read the same article and it would seem that the car has been put on hold commercially. However, the "One Make Series" will keep the project alive in the public domain!

I wonder if this is the car, MGR will release at the UK Motorshow?

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure MGR Design Director Peter Stevens said very recently in one of the motor mags that the X80 was taking up all of his time at present.

MGR need this product for the old 'halo' effect. Hope it's still on track.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Good news then - I imagine it will be stormer after the new nose has been grafted on.

2003 is the new date for the USA launch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts