MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry - WRONG antifreeze.....

I have just had the cambelt and water pump replaced on my ZS120 - they have used blue antifreeze rather than the orange OAT type - is there any consequence to this or should I have them change it?

TIA

Hal

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Re: woring antifreeze

If it were me I would make them change it at their cost, OAT is specified.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Go back and ask them if they used OAT, sometimes it can be coloured differently, actually, no, go and ask them what antifreeze they used, if it isn't OAT they need to change it as normal antifreeze, glycol whatsit, reacts with the ali in the engine and causes damage, IIRC it also goes sludgy.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Go back and ask them if they used OAT, sometimes it can be coloured differently, actually, no, go and ask them what antifreeze they used, if it isn't OAT they need to change it as normal antifreeze, glycol whatsit, reacts with the ali in the engine and causes damage, IIRC it also goes sludgy.
Most engines are alloy or at least have alloy heads...?

·
Registered
859 Posts
If I am not mistaken Glycol based green/blue anti-freeze was used until around 2001/2002 then the change was made to OAT - however in your case especially if you had OAT originally then that is what they should have used to top up and re-fill the system.

Glycol type should not be mixed with OAT, it reduces service life of the inhibitors, and can in some minor cases lead to reaction and corrosion. To change from one type to another you need to completely drain the system and flush it out.

usefull link...

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/05-2.html

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If I am not mistaken Glycol based green/blue anti-freeze was used until around 2001/2002 then the change was made to OAT - however in your case especially if you had OAT originally then that is what they should have used to top up and re-fill the system.

Glycol type should not be mixed with OAT, it reduces service life of the inhibitors, and can in some minor cases lead to reaction and corrosion. To change from one type to another you need to completely drain the system and flush it out.

usefull link...

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/05-2.html
Agreed
Spot on!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts