MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Sort of, but the clutches are not very big/strong so they would burn out frequently.

Also, the K series is not the best at extra low speed work. So from the driver aspect, when pulling away if the revs drop below say 700 it will just stall wheras other engines will keep spinning but vibrate the cabin so as to give warning.

This aint a problem when you can drive but may be a bit of an ars3 for learners.

Matt.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Probably cos they are smaller maybe a little of what I have said above.

We have a couple of 25's as learner cars round here though!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I learnt in a 1.0 Nissan Micra. It used to stall quite often if you didn't give it enough rev when pulling away, but once it got going, it was no problem if you let the revs drop - it didn't have a rev counter so I couldn't tell you how much of a drop you could get away with! In the end I passed my test in our Rover 620 that I'd driven perhaps half a dozen times before! Now that WAS unforgiving! I only stalled once on my test though...

I would agree with the point about the 25 being a little unforgiving when letting the revs drop below 700. For example, if you're in second gear and you let your speed drop below 10mph, it's an extremely good idea to change down or else it will stall. Nick's used to the ZT and it's very easy to pull away in second (not that this happens very often you understand!) or crawl along at tickover in second, but with the 25, first is much better. You've got less chance of embarrassing yourself!

·
The Cleaner (aka jon)
986 Posts
i learnt in a 1.0 KA and then a 1.6 focus and have since moved on to a 45 saloon (1.8) and soon to be mg zr :D

The focus was excellent at pulling off (compared to the ka which was so slow), quite a nice drive (i prefer the 45) but my 1 huge grip was the convex wing mirrors and the magnification on the rear view mirror. It took quite a bit of getting used to as for the first few weeks id line up with the wingmirrors what i thought was the curb and the rear would be sitting in the middle of the road! The focus's also have a very high back on them, i often wished i was in a 25 during maneuvers.

If you can get a 1.6 25 i think it would make an great car to learn in, the <1.4 might be a little too prone to stalling.

G

·
Insurance

I think depending on age of driver you might find the insurance expensive, I know it was our choice till we looked at that side of it.

It would of been our first choice but went for the saxo. :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
i was standing outside my work in farnborough having a toke on a malboro, when i spies a Trophy Yellow ZR (looked like a 105) zoom past, what did i see at the last moment, a big white sign with a big red L on it. so there must be learner cars out there.

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MG ZR learner car sounds good. Still don't know why so many driving schools use Clio's and Corsa's though. R25 did better in the JD Power survey than the Corsa and only 1 behind the Clio.

·
Registered
214 Posts
been teaching my girlfriend to drive in mine! she didnt even know how to start it at first, but within half an hour she was scarin the **** out of me by doin an exellent impression of richard burns around the local morrisons! ****** women drivers!:D

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
When Elaine got her ZR 105 we looked around for insurance quotes with a 17 year old as an additional driver as Vicky (daughter) is coming up to that age.

Guess what - couldn't get a quote, only available by special quotation!!

Elaine's insurance was free with the car - good job we don't need the extra as Vicky isn't 17 until next year, we will need to rethink things when she decides to learn to drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts