MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought an MG ZR160 + and am putting the ice unit from my old car into it. I am wondering where the best place is to run the wires for the amp and cd autochanger are? or where is the easyist to run. Thanks for you help in advance.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
ukbloke said:
I have just bought an MG ZR160 + and am putting the ice unit from my old car into it. I am wondering where the best place is to run the wires for the amp and cd autochanger are? or where is the easyist to run. Thanks for you help in advance.
Hi,

I am not 100% familiar with ZR, but if you want to mount a 6 disc changer, amps, etc then there are a few options;

1. Changer may go under passengers seat (potentially using Rover brackets as the OE changer sat here on R200/25, not screwed to the floor, but nicely suspended below seat which means no getting back wet when changing discs in the rain!!)

2. Boot. To one side fixed to vehicle floorpan, carefully.

For either of these, the best way of doing it and routing wires is to first remove everything that you need to.

This then simplifies the process by giving access easily throughout the length of the cable run and allowing nice and tidy looming to take place. The ZR is a nice car and if taken apart correctly and with care will go back together as Longbridge with 0 rattles, etc;

Remove the glovebox by undoing the two 8/10mm bolts underneath on the hinges and then manipulate the box out. Run the BUS cable along the back and loom it with other wiring past heater blend unit/fan assembly.

Pull off the trim down the passenger footwell (held by one or two push studs) and run the cable down here. Take off kickplates and threshold trim and run cable along side of door/s behind carpet with MGR wiring.

If you are going to under the seat then there is a hole in the carpet to pass through where the loom for the seat belt pretensioners passes.

If going to boot then continue along and remove rear seat by undoing retaining bolts at rear of seat, pushing aside the seat squab you will see them.

From here, tidily loom BUS cable and pass into passenger side of boot, remove liner on that side and then fix changer unit.

You do know that they make nice stealth boxes for this car, which although I have not seen them, may make good sense for a nice ICE install.

Matt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Advice Matt. I have looked under the passenger seat and could not find any mounting brackets though. I am just wondering now where Rover install the CD changer when it is bought from them. If anybody has bought their ZR from Rover with the optional keenwood CD changer please let me know where it is placed.

·
in The Chairman's Chair
957 Posts
Mounting a CD Auto Changer In a ZR

Hi UKBloke

I have a ZR160 also and the CD changer is are a dealer fit rather than a factory fit.

They have mounted mine in the boot, under the near side rear speaker. Not certain if special brackets have been used or came as part of the CD Autochanger Kit.

Hope this help.

Rob. Watton (Staffordshire,UK)

·
MG ZR-X & MG ZR X210 Owner
107 Posts
UKBloke,

Yes as mentioned MGR fit is under near side rear speaker, there are a couple of bolts welded to the body for mounting points for special brackets which should be available separately from a dealer. Its a good spot because its off the boot floor and is realy a bit of wasted space.

My choice is the same spot but on the off side, since there is not a bracing bit for the MGR mount to get in the way on this side, and just use the normal mounts supplied with the autochanger. I've done two here, both Sony 10 disc.

My BRM has serious HIFI, I had passenger seat out to make my own mount for an amp for the front speakers here.

Rear amp is bolted on a board screwed to the small section of the rear seat back.

As far as wiring is concerned for a basic fit, bring all cables through centre console, past Handbrake and under the carpet to below the base of the rear seat, then left or right to the plastic trim at the edge of the seat and behind the boot trim.

For serious fit, keep power, signal, and control leads apart as much as possible. Use the run as above for signal, the offside under carpet below doors for controll and the near side for power.

Stealth shelf comes highly recomended.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice BRM494 and to everyone else. I have now install everything bar the cd changer nd having spoken to a few of the local dealers they don't list the mounting bracket. BRM494 do you have a part bo for the bracket or could you tell me where you got it from as I live in farnborough, just down the road from you, I could go to the same place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A little bit off topic, but I recently fitted a Kenwood 6 disc changer to my MG ZS120+. I mounted it in the LH side of the boot using the brackets supplied. The problem is, have I invalidated my warranty by drilling into the bodywork in order to fit the brackets? I took reasonable precaution against corrosion by painting the holes, using stainless steel fixings and spaying waxoil all over them. Any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts