MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit early, but I thought I might as well plan which car to put them on and how many winter tyres I'll need. I have 6 spare wheels so I might as well bang at least two winter tyres on my car. I have no idea when prices of winter tyres might go up, but I would like to get some before that happens.

First question: Can I get away with just the front tyres? I know all four would be the ideal but I think just the fronts and being sensible should be ok.

Last year we used the missus fezza which was awesome with its 14" goodyears. As I plan to get proper tyres we have a choice:

1) Fiesta 1.25 (POWAAAAAAAAAA) would need to source at least two spare wheels which would balance out the cost probably.
2) MG ZS 180. Already have spare wheels and it's much more fun to drive (I'll tell the missus "safer in a crash"). The downside is wider tyres and the cost of tyres. Cheaper to reapair if I bump it? Increased weight should help traction?
3) MX5 - just for lols. Would definitely need all four tyres and a spare set of wheels. Unless I put the 17s on it..xD. Weighs nothing, traction might necessitate loading the boot. Peanuts to repair if bumped. Heats up really quickly but the lights/wipers are poor and no aircon to quickly clear the screen.

Second question, which would you go for? they all have their merits. Pesonally I think it goes:

safer >>>>>>>>>>>> less safe
fiesta -------MG -------mazda
less fun <<<<<<<<<< most fun

not to scale obviously.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
First question: Can I get away with just the front tyres? I know all four would be the ideal but I think just the fronts and being sensible should be ok.
On the ZS at least, with only front winter tyres, it will be OK for accelerating but when you brake you will lock up the rear wheels and the ABS will then remove braking from the front wheels so you wont stop any faster than you would with all summer tyres. From a safety point of view it is normally more important to be able to slow down or stop than to accelerate.

Isn't the Mazda rear wheel drive :err:

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Bit early, but I thought I might as well plan which car to put them on and how many winter tyres I'll need.
Have you tried to get Winter tyres ? It was a real pain in the ass for me a couple of years ago . . I ended up getting them sent from Germany.

Fiesta wins easily . . less torque means less wheel spin . . .

·
wacky racer
59 Posts
On the ZS at least, with only front winter tyres, it will be OK for accelerating but when you brake you will lock up the rear wheels and the ABS will then remove braking from the front wheels so you wont stop any faster than you would with all summer tyres. From a safety point of view it is normally more important to be able to slow down or stop than to accelerate.
Don't even think about getting only two, all countries that do this replace all four at once or - as Windy says - you are introducing a handling problem.

·
Registered
976 Posts
3) MX5 - just for lols. Would definitely need all four tyres and a spare set of wheels. Unless I put the 17s on it..xD. Weighs nothing, traction might necessitate loading the boot.

mx5s weigh 1065kgs, new shape ones are over 1100kgs, my zs weighs 1170kgs and thats my road going one, my track one is lighter so mx5 is not a light as you think.

I would go for the fiesta just because you'll only use the tyres for a month or so and the zs has too much power even with winter tyres you'll just spin everywhere i recon

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Don't even think about getting only two, all countries that do this replace all four at once or - as Windy says - you are introducing a handling problem.
I have ran 2 front Winter tyres the last 2 winters and will this winter also . . . unless you have tried it compared to Conits then you don't know what you are talking about.

If the ABS is only controlled by the rears why are there ABS reluctor rings on the CV joints ?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I have ran 2 front Winter tyres the last 2 winters and will this winter also . . . unless you have tried it compared to Conits then you don't know what you are talking about.

If the ABS is only controlled by the rears why are there ABS reluctor rings on the CV joints ?
The ABS is controlled by all wheels, if the rear left was to lock then the ABS will not only remove braking from the rear left since you would then have more braking on one side of the car than the other and thus cause the car to start a spin.

If you are regularly using winter tyres then I don't understand why you would want to not change all 4? As Pat suggests, changing just two would be illegal in many countries!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
There are loads of tyres about now compared to a few years ago and they are much cheaper than they were too. mytyres.com are now offering steel winter wheels already fitted with tyres from £85 a corner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts