MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi right im going to be driving to spain for a holiday. its about 13000 miles so i am looking at ways to save fuel on the way i have put the origanal air filter back on and i took the decat off but it made it worse so i put it back on.

so is there anythink else i can do?

also the kids will be watching the dvd players in the back of the car but with the sun they wont be able to see properly so what is a good cheep way to tint the windows? it will also keep the heat out for them aswell.

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Tints don't keep heat out. I think they make it worse by making the car darker.

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
There is the school of thought that with a performance air filter your economy should improve if driven appropriately as the engine will work more efficiently:) Engine breathes more easily along with exhaust etc so if driven with a steady and light right foot.......

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Besides, I assume that if you have air-con in your car you will be using that through europe if it's hot anyway and this will effect economy as well...........

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Tints will make it cooler as they reflect more light and heat back away from the glass rather than letting it pass through.

I am driving to France later this year, will be over 1000 miles and I hope to have my decat fitted by then as with the decat it will use less fuel than with the cat in place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will be using air con thats why im seeing if there is any other ways of saving fuel. the fuel is much better with the decat im seeing what it is like with the old air filter back on. i did have a closed cone with the feed going to the wing but i have got a knn open cone to try in the wing if the panel filter aint as good just have to get some pipe to pipe it in. i have had a car with tints on before and it was alot cooler in the summer.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Once you leave the shores of rip-off Britain you're already saving on fuel costs.
Its not noticably cheaper now with the Euro doing so well against the pound, neither is beer but wine is still good value as its cheap as chips anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i hope the euro drops by august then i dont want to have to drink the wine i hate it i wouldnt even run the car on it lol

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Fuel is considerably cheaper in Spain but was more expensive in France than the UK last summer.

When you head back make sure you buy all your taxed and duty supplies (Fuel/****/Booze) before you cross back into France. Close to the major routes on the Spanish side are always small towns dedicated to satisfying the French.

The best way to save fuel is to drive steadly planing ahead for breaking and accelerating. Also driving at night is better as there is less traffic. Avoid the first weekend in August, a journey we can do in 16/20 hours took us nearly 36!

Of course the bestest way of avoiding France on your way down is Portsmouth/Bilbao or Plymouth/Sandanter, we doing the Bilbao crossing this time.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
correct tyre presures for a fully loaded car and limit your revs to 3k max, will save far more fuel than messing around with de cats or air filters.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what shud the presure be for a fully loaded zs then? i know the bits im messing around with wont make much differance but as the saying goes every little helps. the differance with the decat was 350 miles ish to a tank and about 310 with the normal cat i fort that was quite a differance. and that was town driving

·
back in my 3rd 180
222 Posts
you can buy pre cut tints off a company on ebay,its only 30 quid,i myself may get them in the near future,you would have to fit them yourself tho

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
you can buy pre cut tints off a company on ebay,its only 30 quid,i myself may get them in the near future,you would have to fit them yourself tho
I've tried pre cut and its a pain as you have to get them lined up first go, I prefer to cut them in place as you can get a much better fit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've tried pre cut and its a pain as you have to get them lined up first go, I prefer to cut them in place as you can get a much better fit.
what is a good roll of tint to buy? i tryed a cheep roll on a different car but it looked crap/

·
Registered
795 Posts
I got a cheap roll for about £11 delivered off ebay and was very pleased with the results (although I have no idea how long it wil last!).

As has already been said it is not easy to do and takes a long time, lots of swearing and screwed up bits of film to get it right.

THIS may help you if you decide to do it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts