MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are MG competing at Le Mans with a prototype entry when they will have 2 fast cars in the x80 and ZT385?

Seems to me that an ultra tuned ZT500 (read 700) or X80 of the same type of output would be a better sales winner if it did well. After all you can't go out and buy a new LMP675 for a runabout can you? Sure you don't get the same suspension setup and engine outputs as the race version but that's not the point. Maybe MGR should think very seriously about entering a ZT in next year's race as well as the LMP?

Anyway I much prefer 'real' cars racing to open wheeler types.

G

·
Patrick - spot on - from the rumours I heard the X80 will be doing this. Bit like the Porsche Cup or one make series supporting the BTCC or some such. Forgot all about it.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
As far as I am aware the LMP675 car is a 3 year project. Like all good sportscars it takes a while to gell. I would imagine all things being equal they will go for outright victory in 2003.

Perhaps the X80 because it's not in production would be a lost cause.

Good point about the ZT though. We have the ZR rally programme, the ZS touring car but no ZT project. Perhaps a ZT pounding round Bathurst(1000kms) blowing off Holdens and Ford Falcons is in the future!

Jim

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JIM said:
Perhaps a ZT pounding round Bathurst(1000kms) blowing off Holdens and Ford Falcons is in the future!
Sounds good to me. Someone want to suggest to MGR that they have a quiet word with Classic Group Pty Ltd, also known as MG Rovert Australia and see if they can line this up? It will obviously need some degree of factory back to succeed. The last European muscle to try to beat the Aussie V8s a few years ago pulled out with engine failure part way through but he was a one car show, done by the importer to push sales, but with no factory support.

Oh sorry... I didn't tell you what the car was - it was doing well but today's models would do better - Lotus Esprit 4 cylinder.

The Holdens and Fords have non standard engines with 600hp+ but from what I hear the Mustang V8 is a potent piece of aluminium in race tuning. In fact one of our motor rags mentioned an as yet unconfirmed power output for the upcoming model of 400kw - that's about 540hp.

Actually still on this point why much about with ZT260 and 385? Why not ZT540?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts