MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my scorpian exhaust middle section bolwing and sounding pants I decided to replace and fit a de-cat at the same time. Purchased janspeed items both from PTP, just down the road from me.

Well jacked the car up as you do and was feeling good about this being a quick simple job. Firstly removed the bolts from the back box to centre section. They snapped, which made it easy.
Next the bolts from the centre section to the cat. Yep they snapped as well. Oh this is easy I thought to myself, only three more bolts and its time to put the new exhaust on.
Time for the three bolts holding the cat on. Yep you guessed it they snapped as well, but hang on a minute they are not bolts. They are pressed in stud bolts. The mood went from good to bad in seconds.
Would they come out? No chance. Heating and hitting did nothing. In the end it was a grinding off of the exposed thread and the back the the bottom two studs. Then drilling three 10mm holes. This was not fun with a crap drill and toffee drill bits. Well after eating a million drill bits and breaking my drill I had to call a good friend of mine. He turned up with a drill almost as big as the car and some good drill bits. 20 minutes later and my 3 10 mm holes are drilled and the exhaust sections fitted.
So a simple job that should have taken 2 hours max took 2 days. Due to trying to get more drill bits with trip to the shops, Weather, Waiting for my mate to turn up.
Oh well its done now.
Thanks for listening.

·
Since 1987.
92 Posts
I had exactly the same experience when fitting my decat! Except I didn't have a grinder available and had to use a junior hacksaw! I blunted a whole load of drill bits, too. Absolute nightmare!

Needless to say I fitted the new part with stainless steel bolts and washers, in case I ever have to get the ****** off again.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
This is why, now that I can afford to (thanks Mr Mastercard), that I get someone else to fit my exhausts, gone are the days (or should I say nights) lying on my back under my car, car half on the kerb to give me a bit of height, junior hacksaw blade with no handle cutting through bolts and using an angle poise lamp for light, getting cold and damp from the rain on the ground in November.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im so pleased with the end result and even tho it has the de-cat its still not loud at all, just a nice rumble.

Welshy, same here stainless all round, and now that there are bolts on the downpipe it will be soo much easier should I want the cat back on.

I know what your saying talkingcars. Soon as the studs broke I though why on earth am I doing this. By the time I factor in the cost the the missle section, the decat and all the drills used, it wouldnt have much more expensive to have had full custom exhaust made and fitted.

Oh well at leasts its done, lol

Andy

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is why, now that I can afford to (thanks Mr Mastercard), that I get someone else to fit my exhausts, gone are the days (or should I say nights) lying on my back under my car, car half on the kerb to give me a bit of height, junior hacksaw blade with no handle cutting through bolts and using an angle poise lamp for light, getting cold and damp from the rain on the ground in November.
Have to agree with this, as much as i like working on my car, there are two things that I dont do - One, change the exhaust, as you can go to a garage with a new exhaust, ask them to put it up on the ramps and swap the exhausts over for you for the sake of £20 or so. Just really isnt worth the hassle IMO. Secondly, the brakes. I'll let a decent garage do them for me.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'd have to agree, I long since gave up doing exhausts on the drive, thay can be such a pain without a lift, having said that I did do the cat and downpipe during the summer lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts