MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, appologies 1st, this problem I never experienced on an MG. This is obviously on my Mazda, but as far as I can tell it can happen to any make of front wheel drive car.

Since getting the car, I've had terrible noise from the rear. Thanks to Mazda3 forum I was pointed to the tyres.

As I'm going away for the weekend I didn't want to put up with the noise for a couple of hours on the motorway, so decide to rotate them.

The rear tyres on the inside of the tread are really terrible. The left one I could feel the flat spots but the right hand wheel is visibly out of shape.

I know it's a common problem with the 3 (and other makes as well) but what on earth causes it. The circumference of the tyre on the inside of the tread consists of 3 inch straight sections all the way around.

Its a round tyre, that spins on a bearing in a circular motion, so how can it develop consistent flats for the entire circumference. Tyres are michelin and have a lot of tread left.

By the way, the noise is now on the front and is possibly worse as at low speeds I can feel the flats when moving slowly.

Any one on here with any answers?

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
usually caused by incorrect pressures, not seen this so much on the mazda 3, more mazda 5
Well documented on Mazda3 forum.

But why would incorrect pressure (they've been right while i've had it) cause it?

I just can't get my head around it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
ive never seen it happen on them, work in a mazda dealership, seen them wear on the shoulder heavily but not 50 pence like. im not saying it never happens just ive never seen it so dont know what causes it, definatly no buckles in the wheel, the mazda 5 required wheel alignment for the first bunch because they where really wearing the tyres, theyre the same as the mazda 3/focus underneath, im talking tread depths 888, then cord on the shoulder, also if they had the car loaded and hadnt adjusted the pressure acordingly that did it too

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Isn't there a similar problem with Saabs

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Alan go and look for your Mk1 and buy it:whistle::yup:

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alan go and look for your Mk1 and buy it:whistle::yup:
Talking about my MK1, Paul. Have you seen the adverts for Wales tourist board where they follow a family on holiday in Wales. Well the bloke in the add, Richard, is the knob who wrote off my car and sent me on this downward spiral.

Not only does he smash my beloved car, then causes my wife to now have a bad kneck for ever (spondalosis), get my case dismissed because he made the case so confusing. I now have to watch the B*****d on telly every night!
:irked:

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
This might well be one of my last posts on here as i've little reason to visit now (i'll have non when my ZR eventually sells), but I had the 50p inner tyre issue with my MKII back when I 1st had it, and the reason you get the flatspots on the inner edge is down to your suspension/shock absorber setup etc! It doesn't mean there's a problem with your car and it's suspension as such, and it seems to be more common on lower profile/wider tyres for some reason (well the reason is reasonably obvious I think!)

I found out that this effects quite a few FWD cars of various makes/marque and is more common than you may think!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I had this issue on the NSR tyre of my ZS180 within months of picking up the new car. Being the dull buggar I am, I really did think that it was a problem with the front due to the vibration I could feel. A 4-wheel alignment check revealedd the NSR to be well out of adjustment. New tyre after alignment adjustments sorted the issue and hasn't been a problem since . . . . until possibly now - there's soemthing goin on with tyre wear on NSR again, but nowhere near the instance of "50p trouble" I've had in the past.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts