Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people

Now im not tryin to make trouble with is thread, but what made you lot buy a MG ZR over the other "HOT HATCHES"? I myself dont drive a Rover, but when I was looking to change to a new Hot Hatch spent ages tryin to decide what to throw my money at. Surely the ZR is a 25GTI with an MG bagde and body kit on it?

At over 14k for the top spec 160 I'd sooner have a SEAT Cupra ;) . Dont get me wrong the ZR is a top car, I was just interested on peoples reasons for their choice.

G

·
Well have to say it's like buying from House of Fraser and not Mataland if you get the drift. Rather have a MG badge than cheap VW Badge sorry. I have to say they do turn heads.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Why not a MG ZR

This propably ain't the place to ask such a question, packed to the gunwales with MGR enthusiasts as we are. However, speaking objectivley, is not the Cupra a warmed VeeDub? Funny how this stigma gets attached to MGR yet VW can make 20-odd versions of the Golf, Polo et al and get away with it?
Having driven a ZR, it is a world away from the 25 and thouroughly reworked in the chassis and drivetrain depts. It is also a head turner, accesible and easily modded. And in my humble opinion they have deleloped a damn unique range!

·
Registered
132 Posts
'Sport n Racing' have you driven a ZR? I think the answer is probably not!! They aint just any 'HOT HATCH' they are pure British cars. Just go to your local MGR dealer and take a test drive you will be amazed by the looks and attention you get from the addoring public.:D

A ZR is more than just a 25GTi but somehow i don't think the leon cupra is not any more than a Spanish version of a particular German GTi.

Phil

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thats told me then!!!

No I havent driven one, but a few people I know have and have said the steering is too light the interior is pure nasty (nice seats though) and the bottom range models are basic 25's, slow and with a body kit!

"OK at least MGR has original cars and ideas !" err???

Dont get me wrong, I love the whole concept of the range over all models, but dont forget, they all need a face lift! The 25 & 45 have been out for ages and this to me looks like a clever way of keeping the 'old' shapes in production.

Ok so a SEAT 'is' a cheap VW, what wrong with that! Built well, bullit proof engine and cheap insurance (sort of). Oh, did I mention the 20v turbo engine sitting under the bonnet that wipes the floor with most cars:D

"Best fun per pound that I can think of" think again, find me a 'new' car for under 13k that can keep up with a Porsche Boxster (until 80mph), and no thats not bullsh1t!!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
U Wot???

U get in an ZR and u feel like u are in something different. Having had the car a week now i have only seen three other ZR's.

One my sisters, one my mate's and the other, well, i didn't know who that was.

The point is U DON'T SEE MANY ON THE ROAD. The point is MG'S ARE ORIGINAL. The point is ALOT OF OTHER CARS ARE CLONES OF EACH OTHER.

WE LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT

If u still don't understand then please don't get a ZR. It deserves a better home!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clam down MGZR105+!

I'm not slag'in them off! I've seen loads on the roads and that can only be a good thing for Rover, I like love Rover as a company and think that they are on the right lines (I also have a professional interest in them!), but if you cant see thats its a 25 with a bodykit, big (nice) wheels and a few engine and set-up mods then thats up to you!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
In much the same way as a Golf GTi is an ordinary Golf (like the 1100cc Golf C that my dad had) with a body kit and a few mods.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
<<The 25 & 45 have been out for ages and this to me looks like a clever way of keeping the 'old' shapes in production.>>

Lest we forget that *** quite literally raped Rover of all development, stopped production of popular models (100 and 600..in the case of the latter 'cos it was stealing 3 series sales) and then went on to claim it was losing money. Funny that, they were profitable when they bought 'em! So as John Towers drove thru those gates, there was no fairy godmother following him in with new platforms and the like. They initially had to work with the products there, and only a cynic would say that they had starved them off investment in order for them to bleat about losses. For crying out loud, these are early days! And to come up with a range such as this on existing material is a phenominal achievement.
If you consider the billions that the likes of VAG make, only to churn out what they do, on all of 3 platforms, I'm glad my money ain't going on fat profits instead of development!
Think in the wider term!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Yes, VW hit on the original formula and a lot of manufacturers have used it since with varying degrees of success.
Just because an idea is 20 years old doesn't mean that people cannot try to improve upon it. The petrol engine is a lot older and we are still trying to make it better.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
If only!
I've bought a few MGR cars (and ARG, BL etc) over the years, as well as other makes (both British and foreign).
I have no connection with the motor industry at all, just enjoy cars and driving. Makes a change from the 'day' job - teaching.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Secondary school maths!!!!!!!
Oh god, I've told everybody now, I'll become a social outcast.

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
:DThat was like The Battle of Britain all over again :D Attacking MGR like attacking Britain is a no-no. Very entertaining read:)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.