MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Finding it hard to get a garage to fit the cracked reluctor rings on my ZS180, everybody i have tried so far has said 'how did you get the rings seperatly and i'm sorry we just fit a new cv arm'
any ideas please?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I discovered a while ago that its such a PITA to fit them its far easier to just get the CV joints replaced. It took 2 of us a whole day just to do one.

Thats my recommendation anyway.

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
I discovered a while ago that its such a PITA to fit them its far easier to just get the CV joints replaced. It took 2 of us a whole day just to do one.

Thats my recommendation anyway.
totally agree^^^, and at how cheap you can get CV's for its not worth the hastle

·
Registered
779 Posts
I only paid £15 for my cv joint

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I would agree with the above comments about changing the whole joint rather than just the reluctor ring, tbh by the time you've gone to all the trouble of getting the joint to a point where you can change the ring, you might as well change the joint

·
Registered
581 Posts
Agree with all the comments above.

I never saw the point of just changing the rings - easy though it is - it's even easier to replace the whole CV joint.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
the cheap cv joints on ebay are of rather questionable quality. changing the rings only takes about 20mins per side. how did it take you a day to do 1??

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Dead easy to do on my ZR. Personally, I don't see the point of paying for a brand new CV joint when the one I've got has only done 40K. Really easy todo the reluctor ring and at 10 a throw, not bad.

Xpart are pushing up prices of CV joints at the moment, I would personally stay away from the ebay jobbies unless I could verify where they come from.

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
theres nout wrong with the cheap ones! ive had one for a over a year now and its been fine

·
Registered
779 Posts
ive now put both sides on mine
I collect them personally rather than pay another £15 postage

·
Registered
179 Posts
But why put new rings on old CV joints just to save a tenner ? ... May as well just renew the whole thing as your almost there anyway. At least you have piece of mind that the whole lots done.

·
Registered
581 Posts
theres nout wrong with the cheap ones! ive had one for a over a year now and its been fine
I agree ... I changed both of my front CV joints. I think they are made by AMK automotive and have been on the car for two years now and i've had no problems.

I seem to remember that they are exactly the same CVs as used on the Rover 420 which may be slightly cheaper than the ZS180 ... it's an MG thing LOL!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts