MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got my rose tinted glasses on at the moment. For me the most exciting period of F1 was in the 1970's and early 1980's. This was the period when we had the likes of Alan Jones, James Hunt, Niki Lauda and Clay Regazzoni. All these guys were tough cometitors who always spoke their minds.

However, my question is the following; who was the last privateer to lead a Grand Prix in his own car?
a. Who was the driver?
b. What was the make of the car?
c. At which circuit?
d. The year?

Jim

PS - Xman you should get this one!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rock, Not as easy as you think. Xman phoned me from Hong Kong thinking he knew, but he gave me the wrong answer.

Jim :D

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like no one will get this, so here's the answer:

Driver - David Purley
Car - LEC CRP1
Venue - Belgian Grand Prix (Zolder)
Year - 1977

Jim

G

·
JIM

This picture is of Dave Purley's LEC (behind you can see the remains of the car in which he experineced 120g (calculated and placed in the Guinness Book of Records) as the greatest "G" man has survived. Was at Silverstone the day of the accident with JIM I believe - we both had hair then (mine was curly).

Picture form the Dony Collection:

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the one. The car was designed by Mike Pilbeam ex BRM who now has his own company based in Bourne, South Lincolnshire. He used to prepare the shells for Peugeot's 406 in the BTCC incidentley.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts