MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Do you or would you own an MG6 / Magnette?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes, I would buy a new MG, if it fitted the purpose I needed it for.

Unfortunately in the latest instance, the MG6 just didn't fit into the level I was looking for, but the 5 or 3 might be suitable replacements for the wife's car in the next few years.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw one once but I managed to get away from it . . . so no harm done. ;)
Simon - very witty.

I named Jerry Zedman with his real name - Paul was requested that I change it to his Forum name - done here (thanks Paul as it was late last night).

For curiosity: I placed the same POLL on a none MG Forum today and see what reaction that achieves.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Considering the relative lack of enthusiasm for the MG6 among the MG community, it would be interesting to see the results from a non MG forum.

I would say that either it will be lukewarm due to the normal anti MGR bias, or people may be more receptive to it as a new model worthy of consideration.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
They really need a diesel to get any market penetration these days.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i think they are good looking cars compared with what else is on the market at the moment, stil early days and usually after they have fettled with the looks a bit and released a few new models they start to become more apealing, i like the idea of them being made in the UK again as i would prefer to buy a car that was contributing to the UK economy in some way or another
i think they need to look at some decent advertising and getting some new dealerships opened then they stand a chance of succeeding, still havent seen much bill board advertising and the TV advert was short lived,,

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
Many will know me for being a die-hard MG & Rover owner/buyer, I still have the MG ZR-Express which unless someone offers me a silly price won't be sold, I still have my Rover 25GSi which I keep saying I will sell but then look at it & just can't see the point of selling it as it is just as good as when I bought it new!.

I have driven an MG6 & found it to be very nice indeed, handles very well & I would say as good as a ZS180, the TSE is very well equipped for the money. I have a regular customer with a Magnette so get to play around with one every so often & the build quality is very good & the MG6 is the only everyday car that I know of that has fully painted & laquered inner gulleys around the inner boot & bonnet areas.

As an MG lover would I buy one? -- No & this is not because I don't like it - I do apart from I think the plastics are a bit hard & Vauxhall like & the floor carpet is worse than the last MGR cars but the main reason is what appears to be a distinct lack of interest from MG to promote the car, there are no accessories as yet though 2 are nearly ready (tow bar & mud flaps) = Very poor indeed! but I like to personalise my car & there are no options whatsoever & no options to change the interior colours just all the same. Until they change this I won't be the slightest bit interested & it is too late now for a while as I have ordered a new car for March & it isn't the above!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I would like one however as a company car driver why would you, the emissions are mad. Residuals are terrible and lease companies are not offering deals on them best I could find are below with 2 other cars of similar price which would give by far better performance and cost me less in BIK.

No fleet manager in there right mind will touch them, until Rover attach the fleet market like other far eastern manufactures they are dead in the water.

As a private user looking at personal contract hire
MG6 10k P/A no maintance 460
Skoda Octavia VRS 10k P/A no maintance 369
BMW 320d 10k P/A no maintance 370

Why would you have a MG?

MG need to make the car attractive to company car drivers and that
means looking at the BIK values which is based on emissions.

Company owners can right off 100% of cost in year one of a car thats
green hence you see hundreds of BMW's on road and very few MG's.

MG need to get the cars financed well as they did with ZR's interest free and free insurance for 21+ with 5 year 100K guarantee then they would be offering something worth looking at.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Hiya
I believe diesel versions are being tested. I don't think their a bad car for 16k compared with the price of a new civic. They just need to sort the quality of the plastics out.
TSE Magnette is knocking on the door of £20k though - not so cheap eh?

TBH though, the only reason I can see for buying the highest spec car is to get the better looking wheels rather than the hideous standard ones

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.