MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody any ideas...my trusty ZS has just developed a noise at speeds between 50 and 55 mph..in any gear and aout of gear (Freewheeling ) thinking wheel bearing ..?????

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Normally from tyre wear. If it is the bearing, I have a front one sat in my garage as I thought the same as you a while back now. Fronts are about £45 each to buy.Open to offers.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Swap the wheels front to back to confirm tcb180's thought - the source of the noise will probably move...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Thanks guys will check it out
How did you get on, was the noise from tyre wear?

Got in the car tonight to come home from work, and I have the droning sound coming from the rear of the car between 50 - 55mph, but doesn't seem to get any louder.

Going to put the car up on stands at the weekend and swap the wheels around to see if it's tyre wear or a wheel bearing. This does seem a common problem with the zs. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have exactly the same drone at that speed. I just put it down to road/tyre noise. I thought wheel bearing at first too but it's just been for MOT and they never mentioned wheel bearings (I assume they check them?).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have exactly the same drone at that speed. I just put it down to road/tyre noise. I thought wheel bearing at first too but it's just been for MOT and they never mentioned wheel bearings (I assume they check them?).
They check them for play and for rumbling noises when turned by hand but this does not mean they are perfect. Noise at high speed cant be detected at an Mot unless its caused another problem, normally its a dry bearing that whines, this wont be a worn out bearing for many more miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had bearings checked out found front drivers side one a bit noisey but no play (So all good for MOT) Got it chaged anyway . Noise better but not gone..My garage agreed that it is probably tyre noise as my rears have not got a lot of life left in them 3mm appx. (BF Goodrich G Force Profilers) So all your diagnosis seems correct. Thanks for your help ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts