MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Smiling & Driving. It's a ZS thing!!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have recently noticed a whining noise coming from the engine bay but you can feel it in the steering and also hear it more when you turn the wheel.

You can actually hear it as you start the engine and move off it speeds up and slows down when you do. It's almost like an amplified version of the old bike dynamo lights.

It only happens when the car is cold too, after a few miles and higher mph the noise goes and so does the feeling sensation.

No obvious signs of power loss and no handling problems.

Obviously needs to be looked into before something breaks/snaps/seizes, but just wondered if anyone had come across it before and how many beer tokens I could be looking at to repair.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
How many miles you done??

Have you had the belts changed??

Checked your power steering fluid level???

:wave:

·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles you done??

Have you had the belts changed??

Checked your power steering fluid level???

87k - belts were changed just over 2 years ago at 60isk
:blush No it was dark and wet and I had no torch, I'll check the fluid tomorrow.

·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Plenty of fluid and have checked for the noise and it appears to be coming from the pump itself.

Is it worth chancing a 2nd hand pump or straight to garage for a new fitted one?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'd be tempted to take a chance on a s/h one.

Genuine MGR ones are thin on the ground and cost £228.

Motor factors may be able to source pattern items more cheaply, so worth doing some research for a good price if you decide to go with a refurb instead of s/h.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Is it worth changing the fluid, in the power steering pump, suppose it can get old and contaminated.

It just seems strange that the symptoms go when it warms up, if its there all the time it would point to a knackered bearing or whatever in the pump.

Or I might be completely wrong, but I'd sooner try new oil for £10 or so plus the time to drop the fluid, rather than lots of £££'s for another pump.

·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well there is zero chance of my 180 getting a new one!!

2nd hand fleabay it is

·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about the fluid option too. Like you say, worth a shot for a tenner.

The noise is more like a screaching noise than a whine when it's stationary and you move the steering wheel, so maybe a knackered belt?

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Yep that what I thought, belts, that was why I asked when they were changed, is the steering pump driven off the main belt or an auxillary one.

Dont know how the 180's work but if its not the main belt it could be that the tension needs pulling up a bit, like on my MGB, the alternator was used to adjust the tension. Have to dig the Haynes out and have a look.

If it goes when its hot, or warmed up I'd have a look at everything else before replacing the pump itself.

Maybe you could PM Rallymatt and see if he has any ideas!!

Best of luck with it, hope its an easy and cheap fix.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It's driven off the aux drive belt which has a autotensioner.

Still worth changing the oil, it's a cheap and easy option to explore before spending out on a pump.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
I think there is a spray on belt conditioner, sure our workshop manager sprayed it on the belts of our Transits.

That was to stop squeals, I'll have to have a look in Halfords to make sure I'm not dreaming it!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts