MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just registered to your site, and it looks good. All the comments seem very informative.

I own a Rover 416 iS, V reg (without the double circular lights), and think it's a great car. I previously had a H reg 216GTi and also found that fantastic even after 133,000 miles.

I've been thinking about trading-in my 416 for a ZR or ZS, and have driven the ZR160 (v.fast) but haven't driven the ZS. I was thinking that the ZS180 would be the only car to have, but from your members comments this may not be the case.

Do you think going up from a 1600cc to a 1800cc engine is enough? I have considered an Impreza Sport 2.0, so has anyone any views on that, or is the Impreza just the dogs bollox compared to any other car, in other people's view?

Be grateful of any views

Cheers
CHRIS.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Welcome

Welcome aboard!!

Don't see any reason why you should be put off a ZS. Driven a 180 a couple of times, and they're very nice, and quite quick. Certainly quicker than said Impreza Sport. Brother has had one as a coutesy car on a few occasions, and while it isn't a bad car at all, it is not the Impreza you would want. (being the Turbo2000).

Dunno how much money you'd be looking to spend, but from memory, I think the Impreza sport is more expensive than the ZS180 (and overpriced for what it is), slower, not built any better (possibly worse!), not as comfortable (no sports seats), and the suspension is quite soft as well. If you go the Impreza route, go the extra mile and opt for the turbo model - Just my opinion of course.

I think the build problems mentioned by a few people on here are by far in the minority, and I think there are several people here who would tell you the ZS is a wonderful car.

1600 - 1800 engine is irrelevant. You'd be going from a 1.6 litre (approx 120bhp) car to a 1.8 in the case of the ZR developing nearly 160 bhp. Go for the ZS180, and you'd be going up to nearly 180bhp and getting a lurvely 2.5 litre V6 into the bargain, much smoother than the Impreza, and nearly (if not ultimately) as quick as a standard Impreza turbo.

Hope that's of help!

Cheers!

·
Registered
388 Posts
CLANDER said:
Be grateful of any views.
Chris,

I have a ZS180 and, as Nick predicted some of us would say, it is a wonderful car. It's reasonably rapid, sounds great and handles better than any other FWD car I have driven. I have had one or two smallish niggles but I have a good dealer who sorted them out with the minimum of hassle. I haven't driven the 120 but if, like me, you can afford the insurance, rubber and petrol that comes with the territory, I reckon that the 180 is the way to go. If, however, you are willing to sacrifice a little performance and that engine note for lower running costs, while keeping the great handling, I get the impression that there are many ZS120 owners here who can wholeheartedly recommend their cars as well. ;)

Ultimately, why not go and drive them both at your local dealer? Different people want different things from their cars. My dealer was happy for my to drive the ZS180 and the ZT190 on my first visit and then the ZS again on my second before we entered the serious negotiations on my third. I always draw up a short list and then drive all the cars on it before ruling any of them out.

HTH,

S.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys, I'll pop down to my local MGR dealer on Saturday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
:p

Chris,

Having racked up just 750 miles in my ZS180 I can endorse the earlier comments about this car. Superb handling (you just go looking for corners to belt round), fabulous engine and unbeatable perfermance per pound.

Buy one. You won't regret it.

Chris.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree, despite having more problems than most with my ZS180 this has been mainly due to poor dealer service on ironing out teething troubles. You still can't beat it for value for money. I'd always go for the saloon with the large spoiler :D

I love driving it :D

Make sure you get a good dealer, very very important in my opinion, can make or break car satisfaction.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Last October I sold my R 416i and replaced it with an MG ZS 120.

I can honestly say that the difference is VERY noticable. The roadholding and general performance are very much improved (as was thoroughly tested last weekend in the Yokshire Dales ( on the Northern Run - see seperate thread).

·
X ZS
521 Posts
:D Just joined, some interesting comments, some not.
More than happy :) with my Trophy Yellow 180. "Does exactly what it says on the tin" Not having had an MG since my'89 BGT I am glad to be back. Iwould recommend this car to anyone wanting to "drive"
:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts