MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cast your minds back to the early days of the TWR Group C Team, this is before the Silk Cut Sponsorship era. They were British Racing Green with Castrol sponsorship. There's the clue, you have to go to the start of the programe.

Question is who was the driver and where was the venue?

Jim

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave (Extreme) on Holiday?

Thought Dave would have got this one, he must be on holiday.

Yet another clue. This driver also drove for Embassey Team Hill, Hesketh, Surtees, Shadow, Arrows and Beatrice Lola. It was this chap that replaced the late Tom Pryce after his untimely death in the South African Grand Prix and went on to record Shadows only Grand Prix victory in the Austrian GP in 1977.

Jim:yawn

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
1977. That was during my time away at college in Rugby. Most of it is lost in an alcohol induced mist.

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Extreme was indeed away!...

Hi Jim,

Sorry, but have been away for a couple of days, and only now am I checking emails, websites and THE forum!

From memory - although I should be able to find out some more over the next day or so! - I think that it was a certain Alan Jones who drove the Jaguar, but at present I am unsure of the venue - could it have been Mosport?

Will add more over the weekend...

David (Extreme is back!) Sims

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
What is the answer?...

Not much further to add too yet, apart from 'Is Jim on holiday?...'

David

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave - sorry for the delay. Yes, it was Alan Jones. He made a one off appearance for Jaguar at Brands Hatch in the 1985 event.

Mosport was the first ever race for the TWR XJR6 car and led the event incedentley.

Those were certainly the days.

My wife and I used to follow the Silk Cut Team to the Nurburgring, Spa and Le Mans events for 3 seasons. The team got to know us quite well. Even Jan Lammers parents would speak to us! "Pedro" the refueler would always let us into the back of the garage and then we'd wonder over to the front of the garage or pop up onto the pit wall. Used to see and talk alot to Eddie Hinckley, Alan Smith and Big Tom.

One particular year, think it was 1988' the pit board went up to clear the pits and start line. I was still on the grid with 30 secs to go and still snapping photo's of Brundle and The Earl of Dumfries just b4 for the start.

Wish I could turn back the clock!

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts