MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically my step mum has a car that is taxed and insured but mot ran out, its just parked on drive at home ...what can you get done for for not having valid mot?

·
Registered
385 Posts
If its parked on a private drive them nothing but it can't be parked on the public highway etc and that includes the kerb outside ur house.

P.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
And it can only be driven to a garage for an MOT, IIRC.

·
Registered
795 Posts
She can drive it to a prebooked MOT and home again if it fails. If she uses it without an MOT and gets stopped then it is a £60 fixed penalty but no points. I'm not sure if it needs an MOT to be parked on a road or not.

Her insurance may give her a smaller payout in the event of an accident as well

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'd always assumed it was OK to keep an untested vehicle on the road, but not to use. Your own driveway way, etc is fine because it's not maintained at public expense..

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'd always assumed it was OK to keep an untested vehicle on the road, but not to use. Your own driveway way, etc is fine because it's not maintained at public expense..
That is what I think. Roads maintained at public expense are relevant for tax offences, you wouldn't need tax in a supermarket car park (but you would need insurance) as although it is a public place the car park upkeep is paid for by the supermarket.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
No offence on a private drive. If you do drive it to a pre arranged mot make sure it is physically in the book as an appointment just in case you do get stopped. And it has to be directly to the garage and directly home again should it fail. Can't go via Tesco to do the shopping etc.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
No offence on a private drive. If you do drive it to a pre arranged mot make sure it is physically in the book as an appointment just in case you do get stopped. And it has to be directly to the garage and directly home again should it fail. Can't go via Tesco to do the shopping etc.
Directly home again if you fail? Really? Would have thought once you fail you've got no business being back on the road again? Am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
It can be driven to a PRE-BOOKED MOT and if it fails to a PLACE OF REPAIR (which can be home).

I am not sure about parking it on the road but I wouldn't.

If a car is taxed it has to be insured, even if parked on private land,
however it can be insured if it isn't taxed and parked on private land.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
No can't park it on the road after a failure. I believe that if you sorn it and it is kept on private property then you do not have to have it taxed or insured.

·
MG6 GT TSE & MGZS 180
265 Posts
No can't park it on the road after a failure. I believe that if you sorn it and it is kept on private property then you do not have to have it taxed or insured.
Ours was sorned, so no tax or MOT. We did take out insurance for accidental damage while it was laid up (£100 for the year).

·
Registered
951 Posts
Have a look here:

Clicky Clicky

I think that, without an MOT, it must be declared SORN and there's a potential penalty if you don't . . . . but I haven't read throught the lot. I'm not sure how enthusiastic the DVLA would be to get your £80 though and haven't read to see if htey send you a reminder / warning note.

Definitely worth the OP doing a bit more reading.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Believe me they can be enthusiastic. May mate owns his own gaff but lives 200yds away with his partner and didn't get to see the letter. Baliffs tracked him to hers and nearly got heavy over it all and that was just him selling me his old car when he couldn't find the reg document.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Have a look here:

Clicky Clicky

I think that, without an MOT, it must be declared SORN and there's a potential penalty if you don't . . . . but I haven't read throught the lot. I'm not sure how enthusiastic the DVLA would be to get your £80 though and haven't read to see if htey send you a reminder / warning note.

Definitely worth the OP doing a bit more reading.
There's nothing explicit about that on the DVLA site as far as I can see. One thing I can say for sure though, you can't drive an untaxed vehicle to an MOT centre for a pre-booked test unless its Sorned. Might sound obvious but I hadn't thought about it myself until recently.

Having said that, I read about an old legal precedent where someone was prosecuted for parking his taxed motorbike on a public road when it didn't have an MOT. The owners appeal was rejected and he was fined. I can't find the link now but it was interesting.

·
Registered
951 Posts
There's nothing explicit . . . . .
I agree, but it is implied. I think a lot hinges on the fine details of the insurance cover.

From somewhere on the DVLA site

You must declare SORN if your vehicle is:

not taxed and off the road
not insured and off the road
taxed and uninsured - you must insure your vehicle or make a refund application with a SORN declaration to DVLA

If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty.

So, it seems that SORN need to be declared if vehicle is untaxed or uninsured. . . . . Many insurance policies are 'void' if the vehicle does not have a current MOT certificate. . . . . so a car without MOT is one without insurance . . . is one which should be declared SORN . . . . and failure to declare SORN carries (from other parts of the website) an automatic £80 penalty.

The lack of clarity revolves around the inconistent use of phrases along the lines of 'if used on the road'. They also pick and choose when to use 'must be taxed', which just confirms your thoughts that it really is not concise or explicit.

If I was a cynical, grumpy old sod, I'd suggest that this lack of clarity was deliberate in order for the authorities to maximise their revenue . . .

. . oh - wait a minute . . . I am a cynical, grumpy old sod :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts