MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been looking at engines on ebay for a zs120 and have noticed that all 1.8's aint the same. can anyone please tell me which one is best please.

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
As far as I know if it's a ZS 1.8i then they're all the same.

There was a 135bhp version in the TF, the cams and ECU program are different.

The earlier 1.8i's from older MGF and 200is would be using an older MEMS system.

There was the VVC 1.8 as well but I guess you know about that already. Was used in 200vi/MGF/TF160/ZR160.

Only other possibility I can think of is the Stepspeed models that might have had a different ECU program.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah as said the should be all the same for a ZS but a lot of people advertise any K series 1.8 as 'fits MGF/ZR/ZS etc' Which is true. The differences between the earlier MEMS 1.9 (pre 2001) 1.8's are the presence of a distributor and lack of a cam phase sensor and oil temp sensor. They also use a 4 wire IVAC and have the MAP sensor integrated into the ECU.

If you want to buy an early one just fit your cam carrier (for Phase Sensor), inlet manifold (for MAP + IVAC) and oil filter housing (for oil temp). You can leave the dirtibutor off and pull the drive peg out. Use the mems 3 water temps sensors aswell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts