MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

What's Cheaper To Insure?

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  ChrisKnottIns 
#1 ·
A car kept on a driveway at home or in the garage?

#5 ·
cheaper for me having the zed garaged and would assume it would be in most cases as in insurance companies view it would be the most secure place away from vandalsim and theft so would attract a lower premium but wonga wise I don't think it is a huge difference:)

#7 ·
It sounds strange but it is a difficult question to answer. Logic would dictate that the car kept in a garage would be cheaper to insure than a car kept on a driveway but there are quote a few variables here.
I'll try and not bore you too much but insurers base their rates on claims statistics. Recently some insurers have had a worst claims loss ratio from cars kept in garages than kept on drive ways so in some cases they are charging more for a car kept in a garage.
Of course this will vary from one insurer to the next.

Hope that helps

Ollie
Sky Insurance

#8 ·
If its hidden away in a garage must be worth nicking is perhaps what the crims think?

Mine is garaged at night and I always declare as so!

My sons ZS is also garaged at night, his insurers asked that if the ZS is at the home address, then the car must be tucked away in the garage by 10pm!

#9 ·
Yep. Insurance is a headache at times.:(

If I were to move 20 minutes down the road from an SR postcode into a DH postcode my insurance would be about £400 cheaper.:eek:

#12 ·
Cost me £200 to go from BA12 to BS7...

then and increase of £100 to go to from bs7-bs6...

a drop from bs6 to bs8

increase from bs8 to bs1..

stayed the same from bs1 to bs6 again tho :lol:

#15 ·
I know of a road where one side is a SR Postcode and the other is a DH Code

The differnence between the quotes was near to £400.

The same Road caused very much bother during the Poll tax revolt.

#18 ·
#17 ·
I have a double garage at the back of the house, a drive at the front and a drive at the side behind 6 foot gates. For the few quid discount I get for putting the MR2 in the garege its not worth the risk as some nights I will have the Z in there while working on it. If the 2 gets damaged or nicked from out the front at least its covered, if its in the garage and nicked I doubt they will refuse cover like they would if it was the otehr way round.

Limited milage policy means I pay more on insurance than I possibly can on fuel in a year, insurance is a joke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.