MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought i'd ask what speed people have got out of the zs's,on track or if risked it,on road,i have had 135 out of my zs180 with sports rear box and filter but felt may have gone little more.

·
Registered
376 Posts
just thought i'd ask what speed people have got out of the zs's,on track or if risked it,on road,i have had 135 out of my zs180 with sports rear box and filter but felt may have gone little more.
Yea you should of got more.... I heard that sports rear boxes give at least 30 bhp!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30bhp?more like 2bhp...if i'm lucky,would be nice tho,i should of said piper cat back sports exhaust.

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
I have had the same sort of speed before I've eased off in Germany. 135 ish, tyres blowing out etc worry me.

·
Since 1987.
92 Posts
I had 140 shown by the dials, although I expect the usual ~10% margin applies; so 'actual speed' was probably more like 130.

The engine wasn't quite out of its power band by that time, either, so it had a few more revs to make use of if I'd had the road.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
200kph as show on gps on the way to ring, that managed to blow the exhaust tho :( (well the centre pipe)

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
i didnt do high speeds on road but on track and depending on which track it could be 130-135 every lap.Running out of track in a straightline was the limiting factor because at high speeds you cover ground so quickly you dont have time and road to keep accelerating, bearing in mind the faster you are going the earlier you have to brake so you lose time on the throttle again.
It would have hit the limiter in 5th easily but i never did it, dunno what speed that would have been.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have seen 130 on the scary dial, the missus was at the helm, I'd fallen asleep, nothing to do with a loud gig and lots of beer, when I was awoken by the ABS juddering, and the EBS doing it's thing as well. Bless her socks, she got it round the roundabout, but the needle was on it's way down to 130, so who knows where it had been!
It seemed easier to stay awake after that...............

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
200kph as show on gps on the way to ring, that managed to blow the exhaust tho :( (well the centre pipe)
In the first month after I got my ZS I managed to blow the centre box, before I changed it I took a long journey with my son, at one point we had the chance to open her up, I saw 136 on the sat nav when I decided to back off, my son is convinced he saw it flash 137.

I have seen 130 in my maestro which has a fairly acurate speedo due to a good combination of wheels and tyres.

In the past I have seen 130 in an Audi coupe and a corrado but the best must have been a hired Nissan Micra diesel, a steady 106 for several miles.

I do love driving in Europe.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
In my Vectra VXR after the remap and limit removal I saw 165mph and my MPS I've been to 145mph. Tyre blows are a constant back of mind niggle.

Never really kept track of top speed in any of my Mg's

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Well on paper the top speed is 139 in std form.
I have seen between 135-140 with ease and still seemed to pull but I backed off because I caught and got passed the clio 197 :). They do go strongly over 100-110 for nasp cars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Took it to 110 in europe... tyre blow sounds worrying? What sort of speed are we looking at for that sort of thing to happen... think i would lose my bottle miles before but would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Took it to 110 in europe... tyre blow sounds worrying? What sort of speed are we looking at for that sort of thing to happen... think i would lose my bottle miles before but would be interesting to know.
A tyre can go anytime. Yes more likely at higher speeds but as long as you check for damage/debris/wear and adjust pressure accordingly then thats all you can do really. Best to do these speeds on the track though :) not even on the auutobahn imo

I remember the early montego turbos had a special double rim alloy that kept the tyre on the wheel when flat. My dad had a blow out in europe at 120mph and didnt no it was a punture untill he slowed down to 95 and the steering wheel started to shake quite a bit....lol
Could have been a nasty accident if it wasnt for those rims!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i had a blow out in my old caverliar sri 130 at 7mph,didnt go fast for ages after that,now when i buy tyres i tend to go for the higher end/over priced but again they can go anytime.anywere whether doin 10mph or 150mph.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts