MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The requirement is for 10W-40W. Just bought some Castrol Magnatec - does it mix OK with the original engine oil?

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I can remember asking my local dealer about this some time ago.

Magnatec seems OK. I've added just over half a litre in 6000 miles to the ZS. None has needed to be added to the ZR (3000 miles from new).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Engine oil burn

I have just completed my first 1,000 miles in my ZT-T and there is no noticeable change in oil level as indicated on the dip stick.

I was concerned when reading a thread a few months back on this forum, that the ZT appeared to use a lot of oil.

So far all is well with the "T"

Alan

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Not a Z but the same engine - Rover 75 2.5 KV6

Dumped oil out at around 21K and filled up with Mobil 1 0W40 - the only true fully synthetic oil I am told.

Could hear a very slight ticking at idle from one of the tappets for a while but then it went away. Have just had the car serviced at a main dealer and provided them with 5 litres or Mobil 1 to chuck in it.

Car now is the quietest it has ever been, especially on a cold start. KV6's are a little "vocal" when cold - slight piston slap from all 6 pots.

Mobil 1 is a truly fantastic oil and with the long intervals specced I imagine that by the time the engine hits 100K it will have been well worth running it on a fully synth that will not "gunge" up in places - eg the valve gear areas as I have seen on several engines run on semi synths!

Matt.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
I use Magnatec in mine with no worries Jerry....

May switch to a fully synth later on though...

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Think I can remember reading (somewhere - can't remember where) that its best to not put a full synth oil in until the engine is bedded in (10k miles?).

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
John, indeed I have read the same, which is why I won't be using fully synth until the engine is a bit older... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts