MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which is the best sort of grease to use on the universal joint (gearbox selector)?, would it be copper grease or the white lithium grease like you use on locks and hinges ?, Im going to change the bushes and bolts so thought Id lubricate the UV joint whilst Im down there. Any other tips to do when Im down there potching?, I think Im gonna change the bolts for stainless steel ones which hold the back steady bush, Ive hammerited the metal mount plate. So if Ive missed anything please feel free to make my list longer ;)

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Ordinary lithium grease will be fine; copper grease will dry out and have the opposite effect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I will get some of my white lithium spray grease on it when the bushes are being changed hopefully get a bit better feel to the box. I want the oil doing inside it, but might get a brand new clutch at same time as its probably still on its original and I like to change stuff before it starts giving us any trouble. Whats the best stuff to use on the rear struts that hold your boot lid up, usual 3-1 oil or something else, seems to be getting a little stiff and it use to spring open but now seems to struggle and I dont want a boot lid on the head. How much is a new set for an hatchback zs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts