• Firefrost

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Starlight Silver

Votes: 12 4.2%
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
BTW you forgot Copperleaf Red and British Racing Green!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
well I onky got the choice of red or yellow for the 9995 deal with free insurance and since Ill be 40 by the time the cars paid for went for the red.. looks beautiful when clean . If Id had the free chioce would have gone for the Green..........but not too many red ones about here (Durham)

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Youthful boy racer in mid-20s. Narrowed it down to Trophy Yellow or Trophy Blue. Trophy Yellow very very common round here plus a ******* to keep clean I'm told so opted for sophisticated yet sporty Trophy Blue...just like me...yeah right!

BTW, I amended the poll to include copperleaf red and BRG.

F

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Findlay,

Washed and polished Nats Yellow ZR yesterday, and noticed that the yellow is much easier to clean than the blue.

Can't see smears as much, and it's easier to see where flys have "impacted"...

The front of the ZT (T blue) is cleaned, but I need to get some fly remover to finish it off... Proving a nightmare!

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Nick...would agree that Trophy Blue hides the flies better! Sometimes I wander round the front several times and only then spot another ****** that got away...or not, as the case maybe!

But if you wash your Zeds every week religiously, as I do, it's amazing how easily most rubbish comes off.

Annoying bit I find is tar spots and brake dust on the front alloys. Probably spend as much time on the four alloys together as on rest of the car.

F

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
For the wheels - polish the wheels with your regular polish, turtle wax brake dust barrier afterwards does the trick for me - when we went away I did 2000 miles, didn't get to wash the car until this weekend just gone, and the brake dust just came off!

Flies - not so lucky... I heard of a bikers trick with a hot damp cloth which got some of the flies off, but it hasn't got the really stubborn ones off... :hammerhea

Got any more fly removing suggestions? :)

Tar spots are a nightmare, but I find that autoglym tar remover does a good job - just make sure you polish the paintwork afterwards, as I'm a bit unsure as to what the tar remover does to it!

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
I prefer to do things the good old fashioned way with minimal chemical assistance.

So always by hand, never with jetspray.
Turtle Wax to wash the car.
Painstaking alloys attention (sometimes with some spray first which I foget)
Chamois dry.
Turtle Wax Alloy Wheel Cleaner
Turtle Wax Wet'n'Black tyre walls
Turtle Wax blue polish the car (once a month)

Just realised that uses a lot of chemicals!!!

F

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Findlay,

Bear in mind that some wheel cleaners are acidic, which over time can actually degrade the lacquer in the alloys...

... which is why I always try to use natural ingredients on the car (zymol), which is expensive unfortunately.. I also only use a genuine leather chamois...

Agree that I use as few chemicals, but I do use the powerwasher occasionally, to do the wheelarches (being careful not to get it on the discs/brakes, wheels etc)... Plus the powerwasher is great for removing tyre dressing etc from the driveway after I've got it everywhere but the tyre... :)

Don't like the turtle wax stuff much though.. Personal opinion I guess... :)

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Heard good things about Zymöl which is why I may look to this brand when my current batch of things runs out.

A good point about the acid levels, though I was aware of this beforehand. Again, probably something I'll look into in the future.

If someone could event a self-cleaning car rather like our self-cleaning oven and self-defrosting fridge, I'd be up for it! However, I guess baking it at 700 degress Celsius is not ideal!!!

F

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
What a good idea!

...although I would hope it would work better than our self cleaning oven, that doesn't self clean very well at all... :(

I intend to buy one of the zymol starter kits when my current lot of shampoo/polish for the car runs out, which will be an interesting comparison. Currently I use zymol shampoo and polish, but the cheapy versions of it. I also use a few of the autoglym products which are ok.

Getting OT now, so here we go - all things considered, at the moment, my dream Z car would be a 4x4 ZR250 I reckon, in one of the monogram colours... Typhoon perhaps? :D

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Thinking of renaming this thread "Nick & Finners only"!

Over the next couple of years or so, I'd like to continually tinker with my Zed and up its BHP. Finance and warranty implications prevent me from going full hog from the word go. But I've spent a little time looking round at different websites and getting some ideas. I've yet to see anyone actually improve on the external styling of the standard ZR and as I fell in love with it from day one, see no reason to change it. But under the bonnet mods look very exciting...superchargers for one.

But will need to win the Lottery first or to scrap my expensive social life for a few months.

As for the Monogram programme, I can't say it impresses me at all. Even had it been around when I got my Zed and if I'd happily wasted another couple of grand, there's nothing I'd have chosen. Came down to Trophy Yellow or Trophy Blue for me and believe I chose well at the end of the day...Trophy Yellow a minted colour, don't get me wrong.

Dream car...how about a ZR999!!!!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Findlay, I'm sure you already know of the company that produce a supercharger for the K series then... :)

Would consider it for Nats car if only we had a cool 5k to throw away!

I have to say though a supercharged KV6 in the ZT might be nice, as might a 380bhp V8 RWD... Oh, wait a minute... :)

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
The best two colours!!

Disregarding monogramme for the minute, here's the best two standard colours (IMHO)

Attachments

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Yeah, got their website logged as one of my 'favourites'. Often sit and drool over what could be!

Good pic too.

Is Nat's Trophy Yellow? In which case I'd have to admit this is the second photographed Trophy Yellow ZR I've seen which has come out looking less bright than they do in real life. It's a really brash "in-yer-face" colour the Trophy Yellow (probably why I like it so much) but some pics don't catch the real depth and brightness of it.

380bhp V8 RWD...hmmm, something tells me...!!!

F

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
It's the photographer!

Findlay, I'm afraid I think the relative dullness of the colour is down to weather and me and the camera..

Our digicam is about 4 years old (ancient in technology terms!). Still takes a reasonable picture, but not as good as the latest models.

The picture was taken at about 7:15 this morning, with dew still on the car(s).

I was still half asleep, so probably didn't get the right angle for the best light!! :D

Seriously, in the flesh, it has quite a deep shine that I was quite pleased with (certainly, the fact that my arms/wrists are hurting today shows I put in plenty of effort!)

And there wasn't any fly residue anywhere on the entire car! Bet there is now that Nat has driven into work today though... :(

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
You know what they say...a poor photographer always blames his camera!

No seriously, I know what you mean. I'm no David Bailey but having just "lost" (because it's no investment) £700 on a Nikon digicam I was amazed how much difference there was between new pics I took and those obtained on a 5 year old 35mm camera.

Also, early morning and early evening shots require digicams with pretty high tech circuitry to compensate for low levels of light without distorting the overall colour palette. (Is it obvious I've been reading up on these things!)

My avatar was actually take in the pitch black without a flash. I couldn't even see the car to sit on never mind line it up in shot! With flash (by the way) all you see is me and front of car plus huge reflection of my Rockports (reflective strips). So chose the non-flash one for avatar.

F

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
By the way Nick, you realise we're in breach of posting guidance note 7 which ends...Replies with useless, unrelated comments or questions will be deleted.

However, as we're both moderators I guess our word goes round here!!!

F

1 - 20 of 152 Posts